Monday, November 09, 2009

Monday

Autumn Buddha

One of the 13 soldiers killed at Fort Hood Texas was a local man from Johnson City.
----
Today's weather has been moody; began with mixed clouds and sun, quietly changing into a refreshingly lovely spring-like light over the neighborhood, and now the depressing gray of winter-like skies has set in. The sun is supposed to return by Wednesday, and again I will smile.
----
Today is the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and of the tyranny and heartache it placed upon so many freedom yearning peoples. I very much dislike Ronald Reagan, but he did one thing I approve of; sticking by his guns and helping the people of Eastern Europe to once more choose their own destinies.

Today is also Jerry and Tammie's wedding anniversary; my son and daughter-in-law were married in 1991. I was best man; so handsome in my white tux and teal cummerbund. I have pictures but you shall never see them ... I hope.

Another anniversary today is that of Carolyn's business. On this date in 1992, she went into business with $1000 in the bank, a vacuum cleaner, a broom, a mop and pail, and my Dodge Dakota pickup truck. She had just one account, but by her first anniversary, she had three more. It was slow going for sure with little funding, but her reputation of doing good work and being the person customers talked to when they called soon had her doing well. By 1997, she had 37 accounts and eight employees not including herself. I am proud of her. I was and am still the lowly bookkeeper, unpaid and unappreciated. I am such an humble man.
----


5 comments:

Tammy said...

How appropriate Buddah and Willie.

Kudos to Carolyn & her self-made self. I am certain you must be paid somehow...?.... I love a woman in control, just ask my man!

Jola's photos on Flicker are wonderful to view. I am jealous beyond belief that a bird came to perch on her lovely hand. What an amazing experience to have a piece of nature willingly flit down to say hello.

Anonymous said...

Buddha and Willie; I wonder who is the oldest; I wonder if Buddha can sing?

I am the power behind the throne ... Carolyn allows me to hang around. :-\

Some people are like that with critters; Jola has the gentleness and charisma for such. They sit on her hand but poop on my head. ;-)

Thanks, Tammy.

BTW: If I haven't already told you, I appreciate you spending time on my blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

@Tammy, nuthatch - this 'piece of nature', as you nicely wrote - perched on my hand because I had sunflowers seeds; as I remember he forgot about 'hello'. Naughty little bird. ;-)

It's nice that you visited my photo stream. I'm really grateful. Next time, please,leave your comment (if you may). I will be happy; however my photographic skills are rather modest. Ken is great photographer. My husband is great photographer. I'm just amateur.

@Tammy, I appreciate that you are loyal visitor of Ken's blog. Your conversations ( I read them post factum) are lovely.

@ Ken – Carolyn is great person. :-)

Mu hugs for you both, you and Tammy. For Mark too. Pa!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola. The nuthatch probably would not have landed on your hand if it did not trust you; I think critters sometimes know if people are genuine or fake. Your smile probably won him over; but the seeds helped. ;-)

Mark said...

War, religion and guns have destroyed too many. Why can't we learn this?

The story about the wall coming down is a fascinating piece of history.

Ah, the white tux. I wore a white tux at my jubior and senior proms.
I like a white tux.

Its not good to be a lowly worker. Takes the fun out of the day.
Not easy running a cleaning business. Physically draining. Hard to imagine you can do all that with $1000.00. Shows determination.

Thank you Jola. :)

Blog Archive