Friday, November 06, 2009

High learning




Why did I quit college? Good question and many answers. I had just reached the point with the RA that I could not hold a job, especially as a tradesman. The state sent me for the test I mentioned a few days ago, and decided I would probably have some productive years ahead if the work did not place too much strain on my deteriorating joints. They arranged for me to begin college in the fall of 1980, and were to pay for all the necessaries. I made it through the first semester all right, even though I had to purchase a camera and lens and all my film, chemicals, and paper; I was bound and determined to be a good photographer. On warm days when I could walk well, I picked up a lot of beer and soda cans which I sold for scrap aluminum at around twenty-five cents per pound. I and my uncle Roy walked many a mile that year; he took his proceeds and bought beer for both of us, while mine went for cigarettes and the camera fund.

Just as summer was ready to be born, my best friend died at age 33. I've never had many real good friends, but Fred was one of the two best I ever was close to. His death haunted me very much on the inside, though I tried to keep the fact somewhat concealed; I mostly grieve by myself and in my own way when the time arises. His passing is still affecting me nearly 30 years on, but not as much as does his uncompromising friendship. I entered school on a depressing note without him being around to encourage me or to poke good fun at me when I faltered a bit.

Another thing that led to my scholastic demise was the state money just wasn't quite enough to buy gasoline for commuting; the prices of petrol were increasing and there were shortages. In the middle of my second semester, I had to drop all classes, an event which added to an already depressed mind. I also began experimenting with certain illegal substances such as heroin, LSD, and cocaine, along with various prescription pills. I had been an advocate of medicinal hemp for several years and it was affordable; an ounce of homegrown was $15 and imported was $25. Still, I was able to congregate enough of my unfried brain cells and to pick up sufficient beer cans to restart school in the fall semester of '81 and managed to finish it along with the spring and fall semesters of '82. I began the '83 spring term, but by then state money was drying up due to Federal education cuts and in March, I again had to quit classes. I realized I would never have enough money to take more photography courses, so I did not feel too badly about the situation of not returning to school. I did miss it big time, though.

You must realize America was in the throes of one of its political overhauls with Ronald Reagan running his office and all of Congress. Up until Reagan took over the presidency in 1981, a man could make enough on a job to support his wife and kids, but over the next few years the economy had changed to the point where it took two incomes to support a family. In 1983, Carolyn took work in a Levi's factory at minimum wage, and later in a bank as a janitor at the same minimum wage. We were making ends meet, but that was about all.

So ended my formal education with something like 53 semester hours accounted for in which I kept a decent g.p.a. during the time.
----
Gotta go get my shot.
----
Tammy: I kept peanuts in a 5 gal. metal paint bucket. If you use one, make sure the lid is kept on tight; raccoons enjoy a challenge.
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Glad you shared the story. I think your photos look fab, forgive my amateur eye as I am not a pretentious "art type". I see beauty and wisdom in all your shots. That and your writing brings me back to this page! Oh, and your squirrel expertise.

Love the baby elk splashing in the puddle. Whomever says that animals don't have spirits or feelings is an idiot and, yes, I'm talking to you Ted Nugent.

I moved the squirrel food to the kitchen yesterday as I don't have a container yet. Needless to say that didn't stop them either. I found one of those little bastards in my kitchen! He lit out of there quick with me hot on his tail. His little feet couldn't get a grip on the slick tile floor and it gave me such a laugh to see him scurrying like mad to get out his hole.

Finally Friday. Hope your shot helps to give you a repreive for a few days. How has Carolyn been? not much about her lately.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Tammy. The squirrels have taught me well.

Nugent is certainly an enigma in the rock & roll world. His actions would be expected from country music and NASCAR stars.

That squirrel trying to escape your vengeance must have been a sight to see. Camera!

Carolyn is doing ok, thanks. Still recovering, but at her advanced years, it is to be expected.

Hope you have a wonderful and peaceful weekend.

Anonymous said...

Elf calf is wonderful. So funny! Cheerful as a child!

Your story moved me. I think despite your illness you tried to be a brave man.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.
(I’ll write email v. soon)

Mark said...

You have seen the trial and tribulations of life my friend.
You really need this to be put on paper for others to read.

You like most of us have skills in areas that are not often related to the fields that we take to pay the bills. That is the cruel fate of life.

It seems since the Reagan era we have evolved into an America that is truly unkind to most and those with the least know this fact better than anyone.

Sorry for the lose of your best friend. Just remember some of that good natured ribbing on your bad days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
Hope you have a super weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

At times I think my life has been dull, and I suppose it was when compared to the adventurous types, but when I get to thinking about it, it has at least been interesting for the most part; at least to me.

We must reach for the stars and hope we can at lest touch a cloud.

We are a nation of the poorest majority supporting the richest minority.

Fred is with me.

Thanks, mark. :-)

Blog Archive