Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tellin' tales

 Jonesborough
The Mail Pouch sign is maintained by the town
to look authentically old

Not much happening ... 8:00am and the sky is cloudy; a bit cooler temp is predicted for today. We badly need rain. South Asia is just getting started with monsoon season, and we are iffy on any amount of rain; strange world. Wonderful, too.
----
I've decided I am going to spend more time shooting in Jonesborough; the town is very old (by American standards) and has a lot to shoot at. It is a National Historic site and has to keep a certain amount of old architecture in place. The town is home to the National Storytelling Festival which is held in early October each year. If you like tall tales and some true tales about life across America and around the world, this is the place to be. Superb photo ops if you are able to walk a bit. There are the ubiquitous street vendors selling everything from local foods to exotic cuisine, artists and craftsmen selling their works, and the ever popular Elvis memorabilia. The storys are the main draw though; the town has large tents erected everywhere there is
a flat place (not many of those in E. Tenn.), and all are usually well attended as people listen to tales of life in far away places such as Russia, most European nations, Australia, Africa, South America, and one of the favorites is a woman from India. Not all these people are in town each year, but there is always a good world representation. My favorite was an old gentleman from the high ridges of North Carolina, a hillbilly if you will. He was an impromptu local favorite around where he lived, and was convinced by friends to come over the hill to Jonesborough and tell his tales. He didn't drive, so he had to be brought over by friends or family. He was an instant hit; his honesty (although many of his stories were not so true), hand gestures, delivery, hill dialect, and humor soon won him fans from around the world. I heard that he died a few years back, but I sure will not forget him.
----
May your tampion keep your powder dry on this last Tuesday of June.
----
Y'all!
----

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like very much Jonesborough if I had a chance to be here. I love old towns. Now we are going to Venice and this is the main goal of our journey, nevertheless we also want to visit smaller Italian towns as Palmanova (star-shaped town), Verona or Bolzano.
This is a kind of phenomenon all these people who are outstanding story tellers. You are right, my friend, not only the tale is important, also this person, his gestures, voice, dialect and humor.
I love your photo. Unfortunately my last photos are not good; the EV was wrong and I didn't notice it.

Ken ... I'm glad you feel better.:-)

Anonymous said...

Jonesborough is old but in a new way; it is mainly for tourists now. There are other small towns around here that are very pleasing.

Sorry about your photos not being so good; I do the same thing all the time, but I try to cover my mistakes with textures and such. Learn to shoot in complete manual mode and you won't have the EV problem.

Glad you are going to Venice; I thought maybe you were going to the Baltic or somewhere like that.

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

As for the Baltic, I was there many times. So, Venice! Eventually, Venice! And in our return road also some of German towns and villages in Bavaria.
I promise to make a lot of photos, and EV will be good, I think. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy you will experience Venice, and yes, many photos. Don't forget extra battery and memory cardS. Mainly, have fun!!! :-)

Mark said...

I need to come over for the Storytelling fest.

Tammy said...

I bet storytelling is an art form which is withering away. I've seen a small bit of it down here at some Earth Day Festivals and was enthralled by it. Mark would like it indeed.
These Europeans and their travels. Oh to be small enough to fit in Jola's camera bag and hitch a ride.
When are you and MArk going to meet?
It seems that Carolyn looks out for you well my friend, despite her neglect of her tomatoes and your occasional growling fits.
I am glad also that you are feeling better. It saddens me when my friends are not tiptop.

Anonymous said...

Be glad to have you, Mark. The weather is generally good in early October (I know; I just jinxed it) and I live close to town.

Anonymous said...

Thanks in big part to the Jonesborough festival, story telling has undergone a big revival and has spread across the country and around the world. I haven't been in many years, but it is a lot of fun.

Yeah, Jola has been to Rome and last year was in Crete; she is fortunate to have all those exotic places within reach.

I hope to have Mark over anytime after the weekend of July 17-18. A Flickr friend from Nashville is to come over that weekend; she was actually supposed to be here in June but her work schedule got changed. You will have to give me some hints as to what he likes to eat; he will probably say "anything" but I know people have "tastes".

Yep; Carolyn is good to me but she of course knows she has the best there is. I only growl and complain when I have nothing else to write about. It is a bit of a stain on my god-like aura, though. :-)))

My eyes still look like those of a sore-eyed cat, but that too shall pass.

Thanks, my friend.

Blog Archive