Sunday, June 13, 2010

Do the Dew


 Saturday was basically a do nothing day; I felt bad and looked even worse. Carolyn went to Wal-Mart to buy some more clementines as they usually have the sweetest ones. She asked if I wanted to go but I declined; there are too many people with cell phones in the Wally stores snapping pics of freaky dressers and weirdos and putting them on the internet; all I need is to receive an email from one of my jokester online buds with my strange likeness attached as I browse the bras in the women section.
----
Didn't get much done Sunday, either. Got caught up with my commenting on Megashot and did some more on Megashot's Facebook pages. Megashot acquired its 600th member this weekend; not bad for a brand new site that has been public for less than 4.5 months. The flower contest seems to be doing very well; I don't know how many photo entries it has, but I know there are a lot of them and most are very good efforts. I am entering only one photo each day just so I can see a sample of what is being placed. Megashot needs some more of you good photographers to come aboard and build communities; the ones we have are great but there is room and need for many, many more. I have three communities which I built, but I don't wish to take on anymore although they pretty well administer themselves.
----
I drove Carolyn to Fall Branch to clean the building there, and I stopped to photograph an old feed store sign that I had been meaning to shoot for several months. As soon as I pulled up, Carolyn said "O, look at the Mountain Dew sign." I looked , expecting to see a standard green, white, and red sign. What I finally saw is the one pictured below. Even though it is somewhat sheltered from the elements, its green has faded to blue and red is completely gone. The good part is my brethren barefoot hillbillies and their nervous hound are still intact well enough to make out the artwork. I want that sign very, very badly. Here is a link to a reproduction of the original sign; judging by the price of 15 cents, this sign was probably made in the 1960's. It would definitely look good in Mark's future used books and and antiques store.

Please click on photo to view larger size*

A little known fact: Johnson City--the town I call home--was one of the first three places Mountain Dew was marketed. I remember where the small bottling plant was located on Walnut St. The brand was bought by Pepsi-Cola in 1964 and is now one of the most popular soft drinks in the USA.
----
Have a great Worsh Day!
----
*The more I study the photo, the more I think there is a possibility the sign I found is a reproduction. I think it is in too good of shape with no appreciable rust or dents and even the nail heads show no rust. I'd bet it has not been in its present location for a lot of years.
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

I think you are right on the sign being a repro.

Walmart fashion is amazing. I ofthen think what people in other country's would think if you could drop them into Walmart and let observe the fashion statements of its consumers.

Anonymous said...

Probably on the repro, but I have found one thing that makes me think it still has a chance of being an original.

Some pics I've seen from European countries where Wal-Mart is big are about as fashionable as we. It's a disease.

Blog Archive