Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Old men



I know most of you don't have Twitter accounts, but I was sent a tweet by my grandson Jeremy that makes Twitter more than worthwhile. If by chance you do tweet, here is a link to someone you may want to follow if you need a good laugh. It is by a young man whom has moved in with his 74 year old father and is repeating all the funny but pertinent stuff the old man says. Jeremy says the old man's remarks reminds him of me. Here are a couple of them:

“You seen my cell phone?...What’s it look like? Like two horses fucking. It’s a phone, son. It looks like a phone."

"I lost 20 pounds...How? I drank bear piss and took up fencing. How the fuck you think, son? I exercised."

----
Here is the straight poop about my previous blog:
  • I do not know all the words to Rocky Top; I used to know all the words. I suppose it is possible I can sing the entire song in my sleep
  • I own more than three or four cd's
  • I do have all the versions I listed
  • I have never in person heard 100,000 people sing Rocky Top at the same time; it was actually 98,000 people
----
Were I to someday have a funeral service (I hope I don't), there are three songs I would want played and Rocky Top is one of them. Another is Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce and the third one will be revealed by you when the time arrives.
----
I drove Carolyn to Fall Branch yesterday and was able to mosey through the countryside a bit in some familiar places where I spent my summers in the late 1950's. Didn't find much to shoot at as all the old farm houses are gone but a few of the barns remain. In the above photo, I used to play around the red barn but it was unpainted at that time. The meadow on the right was used in alternating years for growing wheat, corn, soy beans, or hay; I once helped harvest wheat there. The road was surfaced with dust and gravel then, and was not quite this wide.
----
The weekend weather was about as I expected; sunny one minute and rainy the next. Rain this morning.
----
Have a tremendously beautiful Tuesday.
----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

E. Tenn is a picturesque land. I love this photo; especially this bright sky. And road ; certainly, ROAD. It is perfectly composed.

BTW: I try to lose 5 kilograms. Well, it's not easy. I limited eating of bread, and now I eat first of all strawberries (it's strawberry season in Poland) and tomatoes; and ... I'm still hungry.

Rocky Top - really lovely song and music. And please, Ken, my friend … do not write about funeral service.
xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Except for a lot of hills, I doubt E. Tenn is much different than the Polish countryside. Country folk seem to be about the same everywhere, so I imagine I would be at home in rural Poland.

I very much need to lose 20 kilograms; dieting helps, but I need exercise which I cannot have. Good luck with your diet. It is strawberry season here also and fresh local tomatoes are coming to market. :-)

Mark said...

I like the photograph. Nice country living.

I know one song I want played at my funeral, may years from now, is Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man".

My brother is coming down this weekend and we are going to Martinsville to see some of Nascar's modified racing series that his compnay sponsor's.

Getting ready for our Grand-Reopening Friday and Saturday. Hope it turns out well. Hard to figure how these things are going to be attended.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.

Martinsville is a great track for for modifieds, but not so much so for the big boys.

Good luck with the Grand Opening.

Blog Archive