Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Camelot

Only in a Wal-Mart parking lot will you find a luxury
Lexus parked next to an abused Ford Mustang
that has been converted into a pickup truck.
Elizabethton, Tennessee, 2007.

For anyone interested, Roan Mountain State Park is having its annual Rhododendron Festival this coming weekend. The weather forecast is looking pretty good, but if you desire to forgo the festival and just see the thousands of blooms while overlooking a magnificent mountain vista, I suggest you go early morning by the middle of next week. We were there on June 24 last year and the blooms were just past peak.
----
President Obama seems to be placing all the blame for the oil disaster on BP, but the only way that scenario makes sense is through pure politics. He is telling us what we want to hear but it is so far from reality that it's a slap in the face for people whom want to know what happened and why it happened. Folks, We the People are the ones most responsible for this mess; we are the ones who kept electing a government that was and is controlled by business interests whom cared not for us. We knew our elected leaders had our best interests at heart, so why should we question anything when we could be having fun watching American Idol? We vote not on issues, but on promises of men and women whom have no moral character and will sell our freedom to the first dollar that comes along. Wake up America.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Gustave DorĂ©'s Camelot

I want to return to Camelot. I think that at some point in the lives of most people, we have a time when just about everything is going well, we feel good, and life is interesting and for the most part, fun. I suppose Christians believe their real Camelot will come when they go to heaven, but heaven is supposed to be perfect and Camelot was not; it had dragons. The biblical Garden of Eden is considered by many to be a piece of paradise or heaven on earth, but both Eden and and heaven have a major problem; nothing to challenge our minds, our hearts, or our souls. Perfection seems very boring says one so imperfect as I. Eden did have its forbidden fruit and a measly talking snake, but heaven takes it to the limit and gives us nothing to look forward to once we get there and the nothing to do will last forever; very boring, I think. My Camelot has eternal spring days and warm summer nights all accentuated with lightning bugs and thunderstorms. There will be good days and bad days for all who live there, and I will have a little cottage in the countryside, a dog at my feet, and a Guinevere to love. One thing I will not have is R.A. The real "must have" to make Camelot a workable place is fire-breathing dragons, the bad days; we each must have dragons to battle; we must have challenges for our bodies, minds, and souls less we stagnate into a society such as we have now. Where is your Camelot?
----
Have a wise Wednesday!
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are in a reflective mood, my friend. As for Camelot, maybe you are right, however I think I fought against one of my dragons five years ago, when my husband was very sick, we saved him (my husband), and I wouldn't like to repeat such war once again.
I like my rather quiet life filled up with daily routine duties and different little joys. Is it Heaven? Is it my Camelot? I don't know.

Ken .. the conception of your personal Camelot is beautiful.

Oh, and this Ford converted into a pickup track - very funny! I heard a lot about Wal-Mart stores; one day I would like to see such shop, or its parking at least.

Have a great rhododendron festival, my friends. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jola.

The dragons can be the little nuances of everyday living; anything to keep us challenged and creating. Humans need obstacles to overcome; it is what we as a species do best and without them, we lose our humanity. What you went through with your husband was necessary and you had the pluck to see it through. You are probably wiser for doing it. All we can do at such times is give ourselves a little pat on the back and move on, ready to face the next dragon, be it large or small.

Wal-Mart is like a circus; it can be trying or it can be fun but it is never dull.

I will miss the festival atop the Roan this year but hope to go elsewhere in search of some photo opportunities.

Have a great Thursday, my friend. :-)

Tammy said...

Hopefully Jola never has to see the inside of a WalMart. and if she ever does it means they have really taken over the world.
I thrive on a little bit of turmoil and strife I think. I get bored with the mundane tasks of neutrality in my life. Neutrality feeds a numb mind. I do my best soul searching when I am working my way through a difficult time and usually pop out the other end of the rabbit hole a better person. Sounds a bit sadistic I suppose but it is the honest truth.
Thursday is my birthday Ken, post me a beautiful flower or bird photo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

The end is near, Tammy. I googled and found that there 4,112 Wal-Mart stores outside the continental US.

Happy Birthday, my friend. As Frank Sinatra said, I hope you live to be 100 and the last voice you hear is mine. :-)

Mark said...

Well I am not sure where my Camelot is. My one requirement is that I get a good nights sleep every night and have no sinus problems.

Anonymous said...

Camelot is personal to each of us; it is our pot of gold at the end of the rainbow; it is our perceived comfort zone.
Plenty of sleep and no sinus or allergies in my Camelot.

Blog Archive