Monday, June 22, 2009

Waltzing.


You may have noticed I added a sidebar link to one of my favorite songs; it is a favorite only when sung by Patti Page. Patti was not only a beautiful woman, but she was the most popular singer of the 1950's decade with appeal across both pop and country genres much like Patsy Cline would have in the early 60's until her accidental death. My grandmother had two singers whom she would stop whatever she was doing and listen to: Patti Page and Hank Williams (Hank Junior). They are both still favorites of mine. I hope Patti and The Tennessee Waltz will become one of your favorites.
----
We cleaned the buildings as usual yesterday, and then drove to the Wilbur and Watauga dam area. There, the Watauga River Valley is at its most beautiful with near vertical cliffs on either side, lots of different bird and plant species, and plenty of other wildlife. Spend a few days camping along the river banks and you will probably see just about every kind of critter that calls this area "home". They all love to hear Patti Page sing the Waltz. A couple types of varmints (other than humans) had their families and friends out for picnics yesterday; mosquitoes and tiny biting flies. The bloodsuckers took a liking to my legs, while the biters fed on Carolyn. Just a part of the good life when Nature is religion.
----
We want to get back to Roan Mountain and the rhododendron gardens before the blooms fade, but the weather here is so unsettled that the prospect is only iffy. Weather is permanently iffy atop magnificent and ancient Roan.
----
Man! I forgot to tell everyone that I got my weekly shot this past Friday. Forgive me for the oversight? Nurse Needles's hands were warm and gentle, as always.
----
I had a weird happening on Flickr last evening; I sent photos to Picnik—Flickr's photo editing tool—did my edits, and then I could not get them back. I doubt that it is Flickr's fault; I am using the first Release Candidate of the Firefox 3.5 browser, and it must have a few tiny bugs. I will say this, it is a much faster browser than is Firefox 3.0, especially after you visit a site a time or two. I like it.

Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Nice shot Ken.

Never really listened to Patti Page much. However Hank is great.
Although many people know who he is I wonder how many know his story or really listen to his songs. They all tell a story and that is missing from a lot of music these days.

Anonymous said...

Hank would have made a great bluesman; he certainly lived a life of blues.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful waltz.
Zapraszam Cię przyjacielu do tańca ... If we really could dance it would be the best waltz in the virtual world. ;-))

I'm sick unfortunately. There is not good with my kidney I must take an antibiotic. I didn’t work today.
I hope to be healthy till my journey to Crete (15th July).

I admire the beauty of Watauga River Valley. Great shot, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Zapraszam Cię przyjacielu do tańca :-)
I graciously accept your invitation; I do not waltz well but I do my best. :-)

Oh my. I hate to know you are not well. I hope the antibiotic cures the infection. I had the same thing after hip surgery, and it is very bothersome. :-(

I will count the days with you until you take off to Crete.

Thanks for the compliment on the photo; if you were to ever come to my part of the world, the first places I would show you are this valley and Watauga lake. :-)

Blog Archive