Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Headtown


Yesterday was spent watching woodpeckers and paying bills until time to go to Fall Branch and Boones Creek. I returned home via Headtown and noticed a field full of daisies, so I had to stop and grab a few shots. Headtown is the community where I was born and raised, and the field is one where I used to pick wild blackberries and wild strawberries. This went on into my early teens, when other pursuits captivated my thoughts. This one field is now the only remaining farmland adjoining Union Church road in an area that once was totally covered by small farms; it is now covered by subdivisions. The house in which I was born is still standing and doing well; it was remodeled in the late 1970's by the folks whom bought it after my grandmother died. The house my parents built is also there, along with the house Carolyn and I had built in 1968. We intended to live our entire lives there, but we quickly realized we were too close to my parents nosy ways and we have been vagabonds ever since.
----
No plans for today except trying to get caught up on web stuff. The replica Vietnam War Memorial wall is in town for a couple of weeks, and I hope to soon visit it.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Nice that your homes are still around.

Never had a chance to see the replica. Need to check it out someday.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try to see it tomorrow after my doc. visit. I heard it was going to be here for a week or more, but Sunday is the last day for it.

Blog Archive