Friday, June 26, 2009

Dancin' the night away ...


The missing children were found about a mile away from where they were last seen. They are ok.
----
Times are getting worse. Carolyn received a check for her cleaning services from one of her oldest customers, and it bounced at the bank. This is a national company that sells supplies for the construction industry, mostly new homes. Instead of going to Clinch Mountain for picnicking and photo making this weekend, I will most likely stay home and eat peanut butter sandwiches. I will have time to think of new ways to get into trouble on this blog.
----
The music for today is The Platters singing Only You. It is the song I first slow danced to with an actual soft, cuddly girl; she left the dance floor limping and hasn't spoken to me since. It was at a high school function of some sort, and cheek-to-cheek dancing was not allowed. A few of us doofus wallflower boys were sitting around in a classroom when some girls walked in. One of them had a transistor radio and Only You came on and she grabbed my hand and we began "dancing". Every pore on my skin opened up, and all those unused hormones suddenly sprang to life. Thankfully it is a short song, and I hope her toes were not permanently damaged. I was so excited over the pleasure of holding a sweet smelling girl so close, and being very shy, I was also mortified all through the "dance".

The last time I slow danced was on our wedding anniversary celebration at a local nightclub known as the Crow's Nest. Carolyn and I both were dressed to kill; she wore her best and sexiest dress and accouterments, and I had on my newest jeans and best Chuck Tanners. It was 1984, and my dance partner was not Carolyn; the dance was with a friend. Carolyn was sitting with some guy she knew; she had learned long before not to place her feet in my care on a dance floor. My partner for the evening was a young lady who stood just barely five feet tall (1.5m) and I was nearly six and one-half feet (2m) tall; I'm sure we were a lovely looking couple. Not one time did I step on her feet; they must have been too small for my size 12 clodhoppers to find. Sadly, she unexpectedly died just a few years later. (For Alice: She was Cotton's sister.)

Even though I was a klutz at slow dancing I was pretty good at waltzing, but no one else in my circle of friends cared for that style of dance, therefore I didn't get much practice.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me in your memories.
Alice

Anonymous said...

You are always in my memories, Alice. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have never practiced dancing too much, but I really love it. Your memories are sweet (as always). Are you really so toll man? 2 m. Amazing!

I can’t hear this song "Only you", unfortunately. Such notice appeared: the video is available in your country due to copyright restrictions. Interesting. I know that in my country copyright law is very important and usually respected.

Michel Jackson has died. What a sad piece of information. He was so talented artist. We were waiting for his concerts in Europe. I have many of his compact discs. He was a bit peculiar, but he was really great person.

Have a nice weekend, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Jola, dance is a part of the spirit and substance of the soul. I think I have an idea of the type person whom you are, and I believe you would be great at waltzing. Your dance would be a visual aria.

Sorry about the music; luckily it is captioned for karaoke.

I think Jackson's entire life was one of much sadness; he could never accept himself as a friend.

Hope you are feeling much better.

Być dobrze. (Be well.) :-)

Pa

Anonymous said...

BTW: I am 195.5 centimeters tall. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm rather toll too, but not … 195.5. ;-)

Dancing … Waltzing… Visual aria…You are kind, Ken. V. kind.

I like your 'być dobrze'. It is not correct, but it is really charming.
Być dobrze, my friend. :-))

Blog Archive