Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Roan


I awoke at 4:30 this morning, and could not go back to sleep; anticipation of our planned journey to Roan Mountain was keening my senses. I thought about rousing Carolyn and starting early, but she was beautifully sleeping and I waited until the clock went crazy at 5:30. By the time we showered, stopped at McWhacks for a biscuit and coffee and drove to our destination, it was just past 8:00am. Many people were already at the Carver's Gap parking lot, preparing for a day's hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We continued to the top where the old Cloudland Hotel once stood, but on the way up, we saw two small critters playing around on the roadway. At first, I thought someone had set out a couple of puppies, but as I slowed and got closer, I saw their little bob tails and small tufts of fur on the ear tips. They were either lynx or bobcat kittens. Bobcats are more common around here in the hills, but some Canadian lynx are moving in. They finally realized they were not alone and ran into the roadside woods. We finally made it to the rhododendron gardens, and went for a little stroll. I did not make many photos, but I thoroughly enjoyed our time there. By 9:00am, the trail was becoming crowded, so we left and returned home but not before stopping by Watauga Lake for an impromptu picnic of Pepsi and chips.

Nature is a wonderful friend, and it has a cure for a lot of maladies we humans seem to want to pile upon ourselves.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Blog Archive