Sunday, June 21, 2009

Friends of virtuality

Strange how people come and go in our internet lives. Flickr is especially fickle when it comes to getting to know someone and then all of a sudden they are gone without a trace. Maybe it is me being offensive; maybe I need better virtual deodorant. Sometimes people think of their online friends as being one thing, but when those friends do not live up to preexisting ideals, they are quickly dumped. No amount of online friendship, email exchanges, comments, or anything else in the virtual world will ever make up for a meeting of eyes, a handshake, or a hug. A lot of times, the most profound and meaningful exchanges between two people are made without a word being spoken; a touch, a smile, or a lift of an eyebrow all can convey more sincerity than can a book full of words. I have learned the hard way to not take anyone for granted, and that is doubly so for people I meet on the net; it is so easy to use anonymity as a facade and be anyone you want to be, a social chameleon.

On the net, the people I trust and respect most are those I have known for awhile, and those whom do not mind chastising me when I err. Rarely, someone will drop into your virtual space and an immediate like for him or her will be established. They usually come to be good and reliable online friends.
----
No Mugshots of the Week this time; the website is putting up an error message. It may possibly be fixed tomorrow.



Powered by ScribeFire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken I understand you well. Sometimes duty of commenting photos is a bit tiresome. This a reason that I rather do not expand my Flickr contacts.

You did not post yours photos lately and I was worried about this fact. I thought that you are discouraged. Once you wrote that you thought about deleting your blog from Internet. Please do not do it. This is your diary, an important part of your life. You can't delete it. It would be desperate behavior. There is no need to behave in such way.

I still think about your story. Hindu lore… Yes, it is an interesting inspiration. I posted for you (also for you) some photos of Italian fresco painting. These women (from these frescoes) are so graceful and beautiful, especially women painted by Perugino and Botticelli. They are not walking. They are floating - as clouds in the sky, as The Mother from your story. Due to the beauty of these women I love this painting. … and I miss Rome.

Pozdrawiam Cię Przyjacielu (online). :-)

Anonymous said...

Greetings to you my online friend. :-)

I will see your photos first thing tomorrow. I love the artwork of Italy; all the churches seem to have something special to see.

Pa, Jola. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ken, have a great new week. In Poland there is wet and a bit cold weather.
I have still a lot of work in my office, but fortunately I'm also preparing for my vacation. I choose Crete as a place of our rest (rest is so important for me after my surgery). Now I read diffrent books about this old culture. There are Orthodox churches on this Greek island. It will be wonderful to visit them.

Pozdrawiam bardzo ciepło. Pa! :-))

Anonymous said...

It is good to have so many ancient places to visit and I know Crete was once a very important trading and population center. I hope the weather is fair each day you are there. The Warsaw weather forecast does not look good for the remaining week. When do you leave for vacation?

Warmest regards to you, also. :-)
Pa

Mark said...

Well I think I can explain some of the "missing" internet friends. As you may have noticed I get away from Flickr for periods of time. I find being on it everyday can seem like work and it takes away some of the enjoyment. However when you are away for a bit it is also easier to stay away.

I wonder what I would do if I had a huge blog following.

I have some good friends I have from the internet. I am usually fairly guarded when it comes to meeting people. I find the internet can be different in that regard. You are right in that many use the internet as a facade.

I want the internet to be fun. If I am on it all the time it loses some fun.

However if I was 20 years younger I suspect it would be different.

Anonymous said...

I was speaking more of friends that just disappear; there one day and account deleted the next and you never hear of them again. I've had it happen 3 times on Flickr and it is very disconcerting.

I suppose if I worked or had another life away from home I would pay it little attention.

All will be ok in the long run. :-)

Blog Archive