Sunday, August 01, 2010

New month

I suppose these are appropriate signs
for Alcoholics Anonymous

We drove into JC for a bit yesterday as there were a few places I wanted to shoot under overcast skies. By the time we got to the other side of town, it had begun to rain; I didn't want that much cloudiness falling on me. I didn't have the tripod so I had to set the camera to iso 400 and hoped to use the graininess and the drizzle as a fog effect. I didn't get the results I wanted, but it did give me some more ideas.
----
The July Nature contest is finally over on Megashot and again I am not overwhelmed by any of the winning photos. One guy took 1st and 3rd and that is something that should not be allowed. The only way the contests will ever be successful is for more people to enter; at present, it seems like just a few people are entering a huge majority of the photos. I hope to see a time when there will be several contest categories running simultaneously, but at present I know it is unlikely.
----
Have a Sunday!
----

3 comments:

Mark said...

I am comfused on the contest. I do not see that the guy who won, Joppy Mudeng, had a picture in third. Am I looking in the wrong place. BTW, I think my picture was as good and a whole lot less post processed. Hell way too many of these pictures are so far from the actual picture. As least 90% of both our pictures have the feel of a real picture while many of these do not.

In fact some major newspapers and magazines are starting to reject many photoshopped works because of heavy post processing. I say it is a good thing. There is a place for these for sure. I think they become more about the art of processing and less about the shot.

Mark said...

Oh yeah. Nice business name.

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to the winners:
http://anonymouse.megashot.net/communities/Smart%20Contests

As I understand it, Megashot is open to all types of photographic art, be it straight photography or even the most manipulated ones. It is also for other artists such as illustrators and painters.

Newspapers are a different story as legitimate ones try to show factual news.

Like you, I prefer a good photograph, but we are in the Photoshop world so about all we can do ignore it or work around it.

I like to enter the contests just to see how other people compare my stuff with the best of Megashot, and so far the straight photographers don't do too badly. I do a lot more manipulation than people realize I suppose, but it is because I enjoy doing it.
All we can do is post our photos and enjoy the ones of others that we like.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive