Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blade bummer

Janie's sox

Yesterday Carolyn went to the auto parts store and bought a pair of wiper blades for the Ford van. She came home with the cheapest blades they carry and those crappy things cost $30 the pair. That is a major rip-off by anyone's standards. More insulting, the cartons had labels saying for best safety, the damn things should be replaced every six months. One thing for sure, the sorry products they are now making barely last six months; this same van had them replaced in January this year. These are made by Anco®, a company that at one time made quality blades but now has joined the worldwide business model of "screw the customer".
----
Not much going on today so I will leave you good folks alone 'til tomorrow ... or whenever.
----
Forgive me on the pic, I've blogged it before but I ain't got nuthin' new. It was made at a party in 1982.
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Like the socks. I have a pair similar.
Mike uses a product called RainX which he swears by. you practically don't need the wipers if you apply this stuff correctly. Tia goes to the auto parts store and bats her eyelashes and they trip over themselves to change them for her, right there in the parking lot. I checked out Maggie's Garden blog and her photos. I figured I'm going to stop gardening now.sigh.
happy Wednesday. Mike and I are going to CT for 5 days so I'll be out of touch. You all behave yourselves while I'm gone.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

I used to use RainX but that was back when blades were reasonably priced; I will try it again if it isn't too expensive. This store also changes them but she wasn't driving the van then; they never trip over me for some reason.

Maggie is quite the gardener but is struggling with lack of rain and city policies at the moment.

If y'all are driving to CT, be very careful on the roads; there are a lot of old farts like me driving these days and THEY don't need to be doing so.

"See" you when you get back. :-)

Mark said...

It is amazing how crappy wiper blades have gotten. I got new blades in Feb. before one of the snows storms and they have to be replaced.

Anonymous said...

One "reason" is that the auto manufacturers are using tiny wiper motors on today's cars. The blades have to be thinner and more flexible or the motors/gearing will give out trying to move them. We can thank the Japanese for this brilliant idea. To get gas mileage up by reducing weight while still adding interior luxuries, trade-offs have to be made.
Next time you are shooting around old junk cars, take a look at a wiper motor if you can find one and compare the size of it to the one in the car you drive. The new ones look like toys.

Thanks, Mark.

Tammy said...

blades went out on my Dodge Dart when I was driving that POS... I was about 17 at the time. didn't have any $ so whenever it rained I just wound the window down and stuck my head out. It was a completely exhilerating feeling to do this at night!!!! I hope and pray my kids don't do the stupid stuff I used to..

Anonymous said...

Nope, we darn sure don't need to do all our teaching by example. Of course, my kids have probably done stuff I would not have done even when drunk.

Thanks, Tammy.

Blog Archive