Monday, August 16, 2010

Yellow melon

 Enjoy

It is plain too hot to do anything outside the house. We planned outdoor activities for the entire weekend, but was quickly forced to retreat to cooler environs of home. Shooting on the hot streets of Jonesborough was out of the question, and we wanted to spend a few hours at the Davy Crockett birthday celebration on the banks of the Nolichucky River. It was mostly in a shaded area but with little breeze, it would have been sweltering. I seem to be able to withstand the heat better than can Carolyn, but too much is enough for me. We did stop at a couple of markets on 107 and I got a yellow watermelon; not because the odd colored ones are better than the red variety, but I wanted a pic. The sweetness and the taste is pretty much the same but I get the sense of a tiny bit of pumpkin after-taste, although most people say they do not.
----
I am reading one of my college textbooks; brushing up on my print journalism even though newspapers are about a thing of the past and real reporting has gone to pretty boys and girls on TV newscasts. I take that back; there is no real reporting anymore. Even my local paper's reporters shoot stills and videos of news scenes. Reporters no longer know how to effectively create a picture in the minds of readers concerning a story, and people no longer take the time to read and comprehend a real story. Everything nowadays has to visually stimulating and I am afraid books are going to be the same in the not too distant future.
----
Thanks to you who have read or will read my story, and again, thanks for clicking the Google ads.
----
The dog is again tangled and out of reach of his water. I'll see if I can get some to him.
----
Have a great worsh day!
----

6 comments:

Mark said...

Hot and humid here in the Triad. Be nice when the humidity backs down a notch or two.

As real news get harder to read, or view, we will become the land of the stupid. The decline is coming.

Stupid people with pets.

Anonymous said...

I bought today "Brick Lane" by Monica Ali (Polish translation). It will be good novel for me after my return from London.
As for books and newspapers, I'm rather old-fashioned person. :-)

... and please, if it is possible, try to save this poor dog.
xo

Anonymous said...

The humidity here has been hanging around 50%-60%; not bad.

The world is in a sad state when news has to be entertaining.

Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Synopsis: The story of a beautiful young Bangladeshi woman, Nazneen, who arrives in 1980s London, leaving behind her beloved sister and home, for an arranged marriage and a new life. Trapped within the four walls of her flat in East London, and in a loveless marriage with the middle aged Chanu, she fears her soul is quietly dying. Her sister Hasina, meanwhile, continues to live a carefree life back in Bangladesh, stumbling from one adventure to the next. Nazneen struggles to accept her own lifestyle, and keeps her head down in spite of life's blows, but she soon discovers that life cannot be avoided--and is forced to confront it the day that the hotheaded young Karim comes knocking at her door.
Looks interesting. :-)

Thanks, Jola.

Anonymous said...

One of my Polish friends wrote about this book on his blog, so decided to buy it.
I hope I managed to inspire you too.
xo

Anonymous said...

Possibly ... ;-)))

Blog Archive