Sunday, August 23, 2009

Stings and things




I managed to figure out some more of the inner workings of the Linux accounting program; I am so used to Quickbooks automating the double entry system that the GnuCash way was confusing. I went on a quest to find my old college accounting course textbook, and am relearning some stuff from it. I can now create invoices, do accounts receivable and accounts payable, and hopefully make payroll. It isn't as easy as my old way, but we do not have much of a business left so I should be able to get along. I also have spreadsheet templates to be used if needed.
----
Yesterday afternoon was back to the market on hwy 107. They had some more fresh corn and okra, but the latter had too many black spots so Carolyn did not buy any; black spots usually mean tough okra. We drove back via Dry Creek where we stopped at Jerry's and gave him a sack of corn. I decided to fool around in the local junk yard a bit to see if there was anything suitable for photographing and came within a step of putting my foot right on a small hole in the ground that was in actuality the entrance to a yellow jacket's subterranean nest. Yellow jackets are a wasp about the size of a honey bee. The video is of a similar hole that someone else encountered. In my life I've had many fleet run-ins with these fellows, and it used to be after one or two stings I was far enough away not to be bothered anymore. These days are different: having to use a cane just to walk precludes any running away, and to make things worse, I have developed an allergic reaction to bee and wasp poison. If I get stung it is much like being in the presence of a pretty woman; my pulse and breathing become rapid, my blood pressure falls to the point where I become light-headed, I start sweating, and if I don't lie down I will fall down. My dad was even worse off; if he got stung he had to immediately go to an emergency room to get an anti-venom injection or he risked dieing. It has been many years since I have been stung, so I do not know what my body's reaction would be now.

After leaving Jerry's, we drove part way up the mountainside on a rough fire access road. There was not much to see, and Carolyn did not like the ruts, so I turned around and came home.
----
Last night was the big NASCAR race at Bristol, a huge facility that is a bit less than a 30 min. (normally) drive from my house. I used to religiously watch it on tv each year, but since the organization made all the cars look exactly alike, I have completely lost interest, and so have a lot of other people. That fact--along with a suffering economy--has put attendance at the tracks way down for the past two seasons. The big telling point is that many race fans are not watching the events on tv either. There were a lot of fans like myself that were brand loyal, and the only thing about the cars now that has to do with brand is the engine and some decals that proclaim the marque; they can--and do--swap engine brands and decals from car to car, and no one can tell the difference. The drivers are a very talented group of whiny-assed kids, and that does little to promote the sport among people who like to see good racing and not have to listen to a bunch of blame laying because only one of them won. Not a race goes by without some kind of dirty laundry being publicly aired.
----
The Smoking Gun's
Mugshots of the Week!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

It sounds like you live in a beautiful place Ken. My farmer's market down here at Flagler Beach has just about run its course with those fabulous Carolina peaches. I can't wait for the cooler months for the collards and other greens. I have dedicated my garden to only flowers and herbs for the butterflies and hummingbirds.. organic produce in my backyard is too painstaking what with all the bugs. I (and my honey) am also sick of these NASCAR races and find myself gravitating to the tracks in the sticks to watch the locals and the "real" racing. The Daytona track is only 25 minutes away but who can afford to go? and why? The personal element is gone. Have a good week and stay away from the wasps...

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy.

I cannot imagine living anywhere more beautiful than NE Tennessee, especially in the warm months. Florida sure sounds good in the winter months, though.

The peaches have just about gone from here too; most of ours come from Carolina. My favorite greens are "creasy greens" (field cress), and they are available only in late February and early March. There is an organic store near me, but the prices are too much for my budget.

Last year and this year are the first night races at Bristol that were not sold out many months ahead. The old 1/4 mile+ dirt tracks were and are the way to race and enjoy being a spectator. Not many of them left around here. In the 60's, I was a Saturday night drag racer at Bristol's Thunder Valley, and we had a lot of fun.

Have a great week yourself and have fun in the garden. :-)

Blog Archive