Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One day closer to ... ?


Linus Torvalds

Carolyn is very ill today; the pinched nerve in her back is giving her a fit. I am trying too convince her to see her doctor, but she is so far refusing. It is difficult for me to make her understand that her health is more important than paying some bills ... I am very frustrated.
----
On this date in 1991, the Linux operating system for computers was born, fathered by a 21 year old student named Linus Torvalds in Helsinki Finland. This blog has been written on and published through Ubuntu Linux nearly everyday for the past two weeks. I am using Firefox web browser and its Scribefire extension just the same as I would be doing on Windows. I use Open Office suite just like I would use Microsoft Office suite. Windows demands a lot of system resources; Linux will--and does--run on just about anything which has been built in the past 25 years that uses a central processor, including many cell phones, tv converter boxes, automobile electronics, and much more. If you have a kitchen appliance with electronic readouts and controls, it is likely Linux powered. A basic copy of Windows OS costs more than $200 and you will be lucky if you can get it to install; nearly all desktop distributions of Linux are free, and so is the software we use everyday.

Linux isn't perfect, but it is far more stable and secure than is Windows OS.
----
Why is the Obama family taking a luxury vacation at taxpayer expense when so many Americans are struggling to pay for a place to live, buy food for their families, and pay for basic medical care? Our vacation this year consisted of a day trip to far away Cumberland Gap, a car journey of less than 200 miles round trip.
----
For the first time since I have been drawing a social security check, I (and millions of other retirees) will take an income cut come January 1st. There willl be no increse in benefits, but the Medicare premiums will rise, making a negative gain (oxymoron) overall. The people whom are now suffering the most will have to endure even greater hardship as medical care costs rise at a rate of 40 percent or more each year. God bless America.
----

4 comments:

Mark said...

I really need to check ouk Linux and Firefox. Have never used either one.

you need to get away for a day or two. It realy helps.

Heck I bet I do ont get a raise this year. That will be two years in a row. It sucks.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people aren't getting raises; many are taking cuts. I bet Congress will not take a raise this year. Like hell! :-)

Tammy said...

A beam of green healing light to Carolyn.

It is a typical case of the Sneeches with the Stars upon Thars... they have the stars, you don't...courtsey of Dr. Seuss. The Obamas do have an organic garden which I am hoping continues and isn't just a dog-and-pony show. I wonder if they are composting.

If it was sunny every day we would never appreciate the sun I say. People aren't really interesting until they have had the shit kicked out of them.... but I know that doesn't make it easier to pay the bills at the end of the month.

Anonymous said...

Aha; the Star Bellied Sneeches! It is my spotted pup of the Seuss litter. Thanks for the reminder.

Today you are Tammy, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Tammyer than You.

I've had a few shit kickings fer sure. All they ever did was raise my awareness.

We reared, reaped, and are consuming organic tomatoes this year. Sweetest ones I ever tasted.

Blog Archive