Saturday, August 29, 2009

The soul of me




Carolyn is up and about; at least she made it from the bed to her office chair by using the walker. She is still extremely sore, and it will probably be weeks for all the discomfort to leave her leg; I am plenty tickled she is mending. We did manage to put together a pot of coffee which made us both extremely happy to get our fixes; caffeine for us both and sugar for me.
----
Why is it that a lot of people have an aversion to shopping at Wal-Mart? The way I see it, one can buy poor quality Chinese made junk there, or go to some place like Target and buy the same poor quality Chinese made junk and pay a substantial premium. I think it is more of a snob factor than anything else; a good many Wal-Mart shoppers dress from chic casual to casual ridiculous. One tends to see more mullet men and 80's big hair women browsing the isles than at higher echelon outlets, and I'll admit; my nose and eyes tell me some of the shoppers are like myself and seem to take only one or two baths each year ... if that many. Then again, I sometimes see Mercedes and Lexus driving old fuddy-duddies--along with doctors and lawyers--looking for bargains, especially in the grocery section. They may buy their clothes at Saks Fith Avenue, but they eat the same old grub as do we hillbillies and rednecks whom drive smoking old Chevys and paint-peeling Fords. I do not like shopping in any store, but when it comes to mixing with a variety of wonderful people, I like visiting Wal-Mart; it makes me smile.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mugshots of the Week!
----

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I am mixed on the Wal-Mart issue. On one hand, I see the jobs this huge conglomerate provides; on the other, I see the small business that simply cannot compete and the jobs lost. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to doll up to drag my tired ass there at the end of the week for my cheap groceries. On the other hand WalMart doesn't really promote a "healthy-eating America", an issue close to my heart. But Friday night at the WalMart is a great cheap date with my husband. Loads of fun. I often say that they should hand out shots of Jack Daniels upon entering the store. I always feel like I need one. Glad Carolyn is doing better. Those back issues are a bitch.

Anonymous said...

I and Carolyn thank you, Tammy. :-)
I do not care for any corporate conglomeration, and being a union worker, it pains my ass to see our work force reduced to subservience. I do not blame the Wal-Marts, K-Marts, etc. for it, but I blame ourselves for allowing it to happen.
I agree with the Jack Daniels and and a Friday night at Wal-Mart. :-)

Mark said...

Wal-Mart is the perfect example of good and evil. Shopping in the Wal-Mart near my house is not fun as it is too small, crowed with merchandise and people. They also are always giving out the messages over the P.A. in spanish and the f'ing pisses me off.

It is great for people watching. And Jack would make it very interesting.

Blog Archive