Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday things




As if I didn't have enough to do with learning Linux and porting stuff to it, I have to take a break and go get my weekly fix. I used to get my shot and spend the remainder of Friday afternoons making photos at one or more of the nearby parks or around the area where I grew up, but bad eyes and a lot of rain this year have put a damper on all that.
----
The payroll is finished except for check printing. It is a task that used to take an hour or more to complete twice each month, but with only two employees to pay, it takes about 20 minutes from time sheets to check printing. It has taken much longer this time due to GnuCash not having a payroll module and everything has to be entered by hand.
----
By the way; I managed to load Windows on the new computer, but I will not be using it very often ... at least I plan to wean myself from it.
----
I read where Google has accelerated developing their 64 bit Chrome browser for Linux. They seem to have put the Windows 64 bit development on the back burner. I hope this is a sign that the Chrome operating system will soon be completed. It is to be Linux based.
----
Looks like most of the local robins have left for their winter headquarters on the Gulf coast. I've not had much porch sitting opportunity this year, and like the birds, time has flown by. I am preparing to start to commence to begin to get ready for winter.
----
Well, back to work.
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling, Ken. D. is crazy about the computers too.

Obituaries… (your privious post)? Hm. I like reading them too. Each obituary is like a little story. Some of them are really well written. Of course I don’t do it in the morning.

It seems that you are in pretty good mood. It's nicely to know that in your live everything is okay, that you spend time doing things you like.

My kiss on your cheek, Ken. Pa. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

I hope D loves Windows as much as I do. ;-)

I've lost so many friends and relatives over the past 30 years, it has become a morning habit to check the obits.

Things are much better when the eyesight is back to near normal.

Will the music video play on your pc; I hope it reminds you a little of Crete. :-)

I hope you are well and happy; I'll try to send you a Flickr mail asap. A small kiss for you, my friend.

Pa :-)

Maggie said...

Oh this is interesting ... the new google O/S is linux based! I may have a steep learning curve in the future too! Google owns me and if they think linux is the way to go... There is always that time factor, though. Wonder where the time goes when we get older.

Congratulations on getting your windows load.

Adobe and all the rest will need to rethink their programs too, I imagine. Maybe not immediately, but oh say, next 5 years? Think of all the money they will make on the linux versions. Geezzzz.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.

You already know how to use the Chrome OS; it is based on "cloud computing" through the Chrome browser. Companies will put their apps online and you will pay a fee to use them. Quickbooks is already doing that. The Linux part of Chrome OS is to boot the computer straight into the browser, as I understand it. I suppose you will be able to run Linux apps and some Windows apps locally, though, but the future will be nearly all computing via internet.

Most things on Ubuntu Linux look about the same as they do on Windows; they are just faster and safer.

Adobe and other companies are already placing limited apps online, and the ones that do will have a step up on the rest.

One thing about Linux users, we like free software, so I don't know how this all will play out. ;-)

I am too old to look forward to using much of the Google sys., but if it kicks MS ass, I will be tickled. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, video plays on my pc.
Crete nowadays is a bit different than this version we know from the postcards. I did not see there so charming in postcards donkeys. D. saw donkeys in Bulgaria. ;-)

Song is v. nice. Thanks, Ken. :-)

Anonymous said...

I do not know where this video was made, but it has a Mediterranean feel to to it. It was produced in the mid-80's. :-)

Blog Archive