Friday, August 14, 2009

Nachos!




I worked until late last evening and could not convince Vista to load. It's reputation as a dog is still intact, and so is that of Microsoft's (MS) arrogance. A guy at MS support suggested I buy a new sata dvd reader. I told him "no thanks" and would continue to use Ubuntu and Firefox. Those are nasty words at MS.

If the replacement disc does not work (and I expect that it will not), I am stuck having to swap a bunch of cables between pc's until I can learn to satisfactorily use Gimp and the Gnucash accounting program. I like Gimp, but Gnucash is tough to use after being so familiar with Quickbooks. It will not import QB files, so that means I will have to re-enter every transaction by hand, and our fiscal year began on Jan. 01. No freaking way! There are nearly 1,000 already! BTW: Don't you just love those Linux names?
----
They say energy prices retreated in July. That could be true for most people, when they retreat, they must go somewhere and somewhere is where I am. Gasoline prices are still rising and my electric and natural gas bills are the highest they have ever been. One damn thing for sure, medical prices are not on the retreat; in fact, they are still attacking at a quick march.
----
If I can scratch up enough scratch, I am going to the store and buy stuff to make some simple nachos, if I can remember how to do it; it has been nearly 30 years since I made them. Friend Fred used to make them in the 70's (or he had Alice to make them), and they are very good hot snacks (very hot!). I think he used Dorito corn chips, bean dip or refried beans, a bit of cheese (I believe it was American, but others may work), and sliced jalapeno peppers. Place bean dip on Frito, place cheese on dip, and top with a slice of jalapeno. Bake them until the cheese melts and serve hot with cold beer. Make a lot of them because they go fast! I suppose they could be eaten with salsa or cheese dip, but it would ruin the nostalgia for me. You will be a sissy if you remove the pepper seeds before eating.
----


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not made nachos in a long time. I also used to make them for Vanessa's teenage friend( without the peppers). I used refried beans most of time, but either will work. Now you have made be hungry for some. But I would have to go to the store, I don't have the stuff to make them in house.
Alice

Anonymous said...

I hope to get some made this weekend; if I do, I will bring you some if you like, or you can come over and have some. :-)

Carolyn made some a few years back, but it has been so long I barely remember them.

Blog Archive