Sunday, August 16, 2009

Frontier folk





Yesterday was mostly spent going to the market for fresh corn and okra, and then riding some back roads in Washington and Greene counties. At the last moment, I decided to ride by Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park and lucked up on an ongoing frontier re-enactment. I was also fortunate to be able to park the Escape very near the action. It was a view of an encampment like the 1700's pioneers might have used as they moved across the mountains into the Tennessee Valley. It was supper fixing time, and most of the involved people were busy preparing the meal they would have that evening. All kinds of dishes were being prepared in iron and copper cookware, and the food was served on pewter or hand carved wooden plates. Staples like beans, corn, chicken-&-dumplings, squash, fried and baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples, and much more were being prepared. I had to drag Carolyn away from the c-&-d before she began begging for some.

At the far end of the camp, American Indians were doing the same as the pioneers, but it was farther away than my sore knees would allow me to walk, and I did not get any photos there.

The pics I did get are not great as I had my slow zoom lens on the camera, and most of the goings-on were in deep shade away from the 90F degree heat. I think I will start leaving my 50mm f/1.4 lens in the car for such occasions.

I came away from the area with some good memories, and a renewed sense of awe for the well lived lives of my ancestors and their kind whom were willing to sacrifice everything to live free.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive