Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I

Photography "Rule" of Thirds

Robin


Our grandson left for basic training yesterday for the US Air Force. His plane departed Knoxville bound for Dallas, Texas and then on to Lackland Air Force Base near San Antonio Texas. We did not know he was leaving until thirty minutes before flight time when he phoned us. Carlyn and I along with is father and step-mother are very hurt because he did not let us know ahead of time so we could be there to hug him and see him off. Only his mother and step-father were present at the airport. He will have eight weeks of basic training and six more weeks of technical training. Somewhere in that last period he must decide if he wants to be a part of the elite Air Force Special Operations group.
----
Most people I know are waiting until the last minute this year to prepare their federal taxes. I am usually done "helping" a lot of people by this date, but there are two more coming in today and one tomorrow. One of them is time consuming because they will bring me receipts and I have to do all the adding and subtracting before the tax program can digest the material. Personally, I still need to do one page of ours; the 1040ES estimated taxes for 2010 and in Carolyn's business and in the best of times, it is difficult to wave a magic wand and guess how much money she will make.
----
Not much happening here; my bride is off to the hair dresser's for a wash, trim, and some color for her hair and eyebrows. Jeez; I catch hell when I buy a new $20 memory card for my camera; the old one has been inserted and removed from the camera and reader so many times is is physically worn out. Yesterday I made my 3,900th photo with the two-year-old Pentax K200D dslr. I've seen a lot and and enjoyed much through the viewfinder.
----
May your wallfish¹ be few and your wase² be soft on on this mid-April Wednesday!
----
Title lyric from Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd.
----
¹ wallfish n snails
² wase n small bundle of hay or straw for resting one's head
----

8 comments:

Tammy said...

I've lit a lovely little candle for your grandson and hope he will be safe. He will hug you when he returns. You know how these young people are. We patiently sit waiting for them to parce out a moment of their time to us but mostly sit on a dusty shelf.
I think I recognize that robin. Does she have a lipstick kiss on her forehead? must be mine.
dyed eyebrows hey? I have to look into that one. The girl who cuts Mike's hair waxed my eyebrows 2 months ago and all but scalped them off. My eyebrows are uneven, Mike made fun of me, and I swear I'll never do it again. I hope Carolyn comes home beautified and you forgive her the cost for such.
I like your words of the day and most love the Pink Floyd reference... one of my favorite bands.
peace on Wednesday. Meatballs for supper. I wonder how Jola is faring this week, heavy is her heart. Come back Jola we love you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Tammy.
I couldn't get close enough to the robin to check for lipstick, but I have been keeping an eye out for some of them.
It's Carolyn's money we spend so I can't say too much; I just wish she would allow her hair to grow longer.
Pink Floyd is to me somewhat like Jesus is for Christians; they have an answer for all my problems.
Meatballs sound great; we've been having some great leftover meat loaf this week.
I haven't heard anything from Jola in a couple of days; I think today is her birthday; I'm not sure so I didn't write anything in the blog. If it is, she is probably having mixed emotions.

Be well, Tammy

Mark said...

Family issues can be troubling and confusing, all the more so when kids are involved.

My eyebrows are always a mess. Andy Rooney like if I must admit.

I think I am heeading downtown after work to get some tea bag party pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ken
Which grandson joined the Air Force?
Alice

Anonymous said...

Ken
Which grandson joined the Air Force?
Alice

Pastelred said...

Lackland AFB is IN San Antonio.
I wish only goodness for your grandson.
(many of the airmen go to SHEPARD AFB after taking their vow.Shepard is in Wichita Falls, TX)....happy Friday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Robin. We haven't heard from him; I suppose it is much like the old days and his time is carefully controlled. If he goes to Spec Ops (his term), the recruiter told us he will likely be based in Florida for training. He will be okay; he is smarter than his granddad.

I am happy you stopped by and left your comment; have a wonderful Friday and weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,
I am just now finding your comment. It is Keegan, Jojo's son.

Blog Archive