Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Puff, the Over-taxed Dragon


The sign piques my imagination

There is a nationwide push on to support the legalization of cannabis in California as many folk seem to think the Golden State could be a springboard for legalizing marijuana in other states. I haven't read the proposed legislation for Calif., but I would bet it is the normal "let's tax the hell out of it" type entity. I'm all for legalized weed smoking, but I am not in favor of unfair taxes being placed on it like those on alcohol. The only taxes I am in favor of for these "sin" products is just enough for enforcement to see that they are used wisely, in other words, seeing that children are not allowed to use them (In know; wishful thinking). I don't think they should be taxed to support schools or highway construction or such. Cut government waste and reduce taxes.

"If dope is legalized, I won't have to worry about going to jail or paying a fine." Yep; that is true. If you are a pot smoker—and I know none of you citizens are such—just how much do you worry about going to jail when you are rolling that doobie? How much money have you paid out in fines for sharing a bud with a buddy? I don't know what the statistics are, but I bet ninety-nine out of a hundred people who use illegal dope do so many, many times without ever being busted. I'm sure the other one percent that did get canned amounts to quite a large number of people. I'm also sure that most of us know at least one person that has been jailed and or fined for possession and most likely that person was doing something stupid in order to get caught.

Consider this: (1)-If pot is made legal for personal use, will it be cheaper than it now is? (2)-Will the quality be better? (3)-Will I be allowed to grow my own? (4)-Can I light up in public?
The answers to all these questions are "no". (1)-The price will go higher as more and more taxes are added over time. (2)-You will not have a choice of quality if you are forced to buy from a government source. (3)-Growing your own even with paying a permit fee will raise the price much more as taxes rise for enforcement to see that you do not have one more bud than you are allowed. (4)-There will be no toak bars.

Yessir, I'm all for legalization, but it is going to come with a price. Huge taxes mean more enforcement and as users try to buy from bootleg sources for a better deal, more people are going to be caught and more are going to jail and pay even larger fines than they would have when pot was illegal. Is that price worth it?

I could write a lot more about this but I would just become madder and madder and you would be bored even further.
----
Congratulations to to the University of Connecticut Women's basketball team for winning the NCAA National Championship.
----
Excuse the poorer than usual writing; my eye allergies are at full song today.
----
I will be out the rest of the day as I have a received an official paper that insists I appear at the courthouse this afternoon.
----
Have a waggish Wednesday!
----


3 comments:

Tammy said...

Growing your own would be the best bet AND it would be a great way to get folks back into the DIRT!! Huzza!. This sign intrigues me too I wonder who is teaching and is she any good. I'd go in a second if I lived there. Belly dancers unite!
I was secretly hoping Uconn would lose as they have won and won and won but much to the delight of my UConn husband, friend Mark, and Father in law, they pulled through. Now can we get on with the rest of our lives? sheesh. I know the girls worked hard and set records so they deserved it.

My pot smoking days have waned greatly but if we were allowed to plant.... Sometimes strange things do grow in my garden, unidentified herbs and flowers. I just let them go... ;) {-.-} (That second thing is a shimmy butt for you).
Happy wednesdasy or whatever day it is.
The wren is being a good mamma. 5 eggs!

Anonymous said...

The last I grew some cows ate it; bossy was buzzed! I even wrote a story about it. As for the sign, I would like to see how many men go into the house. Yeah, I congratulated UConn because Mark loves them and my Lady Vols.

It got to where I could not afford pot, so I quit back in the late 80's. It was either give up dope or beer.

Some of the "strange" herbs and flowers are probably there for home medicinal purposes. Thanks for the shimmy. :-)

Do you have cowbirds down your way? They like to push wren eggs out of the nest and lay their own and mama wren will dutifully hatch and raise them.

Thanks, Tammy.

Mark said...

Well my job does random testing so I am out of the smoking pot world.
It is time to make it legal. I am sure you are right and it will be heavily controlled. Maybe they will let people grow their own like you can brew your own beer.

A large percentage of law enforcement would like it to be legalized since it takes up a whole bunch of time for a bullshit crime.

The prisons could actually keep the real criminals in longer.

Thanks for the props to Uconn. I hope this will help the womens game. There is such a divide between the top ten teams or so and the rest of the league.

I need to see if there is a drum circle in Grensboro.

Pollen count today, 105. Thankfully it is going to rain today.

Blog Archive