Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Holding hands with a little boy


"Why don't you grow up?" "You act just like a little boy!" These two statements have dogged me from a few of my family members for all of what I consider my adult years. As a matter of fact, I have grown up; like most people, I worked, I married, I enjoyed having sex, I had children, and I paid taxes. One thing I have not done is to move my frame of mind out of my early childhood years. Until I was about 12 years old and had to face the reality of growing peer pressure, my life was a dream. I had no siblings to contend with or share with or to grow with, but I did live with two uncles whom never quite grew up. They taught me of the things that counted to a bright little boy; they taught me how to listen to the trees talk among themselves, they told me that listening to and learning from nature should be my primary education; they made me laugh. Why should I want to abandon a place and time like country living in the late 1940's and early 1950's. I was happy then and now in my 65th year of life I am still happy when I allow the things I learned in my young wonder years to guide me in these old wonder years. I have grown a bit in wisdom; it is part of the natural process, but I still carry the naivety of the small boy. Being ignorant in the affairs of people causes me much angst and sorrow at times and when such happens, I am again a little boy in eternal summer where I belong; living here and now is a scary feeling and I will not do it.
----
Have a great Tchewsdy!
----

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken
Is that meat lace still open. We used to buy meat there all the time.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

This is my cousin's husband's place. He died many years ago and his boys took over but they couldn't compete with the big grocery chains and the business has been closed for several years.

We always got pretty good meat from here and i thought the prices were good.

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ken... it's good to have roots. It's good when our childhood is still a source of vivid inspiration for us.
You write so nice miniatures on your Loose Moments. It was a good idea to set up such blog. :-)

Tammy said...

It is a good idea to hold on to some of the whimsy we had as children. It keeps us from turning into Spock.
Had a Painted Bunting on the feeder on Saturday! lovely little bird I had never seen before.
Babies are getting fluffy and are figuring out he who gets to the front of the nest first gets the bigger bite. Still can't get a decent shot. their little nest is like a cave. I have considered popping one out to my palm for a good look but I guess that isn't a good idea just yet.

Happy Tuesday to all

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
I like being a little boy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very logical conclusion, Tammy. :-)
I don't think I've seen a painted bunting, but we have a few indigo buntings.
Probably best to leave the babies alone til the get feathers.
Thanks.

Mark said...

It is good to act like a kid. It helps keep things in perspective.

Sometimes I miss being in Ct., except in the winter.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could make it through a northern winter.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive