Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tired

Carolyn finally had her staples and drain tube removed; everything seems to be going pretty well. We stopped by Kroger on the way home and about 10 minutes inside was all she could stand.
----
Last evening I finally convinced Windows 7 to install on the computer and I will give you my 24 hour usage impression of the OS; unless you are buying a new computer with it already installed, it may be best to shy away from it. It is a whole new Windows with very little looking or working like XP. It does work much better with legacy programs than did the much maligned Windows Vista, but it still will not run everything that is usable on Windows XP. The only program I really need to run on Windows is Quickbooks 2005, and it did install ok but would give an error message after loading and then shutdown. I was eventually able to get it to work satisfactorily in compatibility mode, but it caused the OS to crash once today. I did run into one odd quirk on my old reminder program that I use to keep up with birthdays, appointments, etc. It will not operate in Win7 even in compatibility mode. The strange thing is, it works fine in Linux using W.I.N.E. compatibility. I am writing this blog from Win7, but will be tickled to get back to the user friendly Linux Ubuntu.
----
I hope to get back on Flickr sometime this week although I have but few photos to upload. I will try to get out this weekend and find a shot or two if at all possible; the burning desire is returning.
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

It is good yo hear Carolyn is starting to feel bettr.

Have not used Windows 7 yet. Vista was a big failure overall from what I can tell.

Anonymous said...

Thanks mark.

The new os'es are becoming more glitter than useful. Windows, Mac Leopard, and Ubuntu Linux are all becoming bloated with needless memory hogging eye candy. Same goes for browsers.

Blog Archive