Friday, September 18, 2009

Missing Mary Travers

I've been reading the name "Kanye West" for several days, so becoming a bit curious, I googled it this morning. Asshole? Probably. Do I care now that my curiosity is satisfied? No. Any kind of glamour award show is beyond my comprehension and always has been thus. Most of the music presented is bad, the singers are not very good, and I blame tv networks like MTV for destroying what was good about music in the first place. Example: Who was the first inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Michael Jackson. Has he anything to do with rock and roll music? Not unless bubblegum pop counts as serious music. Would he have even been considered as an early member of the hall of fame if not for his popular MTV videos? Not likely. My belief is that the unearned mega-bucks these actors and musicians reap should be reward enough, and this crap-tv is only placed in front of the public for more big bucks going to networks and movie/record companies.

I like to listen to many differnt kinds of music, at least I did until my hearing gradually went bad from a close-call explosion, many overly loud rock concerts, and a lot of hi-volume listening at home and on the road. These days I have to crank it up just to hear it, much to the consternation of family and neighbors. Yep, I am just a crochety old man (and loving every minute of it).
----
Over the past few days I blogged some quotes from famous and not so famous American political and spiritual leaders. Actually, I did a lot of googling on this stuff and it seems the hell-fire and damnation spouters are gaining much popularity across the board in the less educated part of the US population, and also in parts of the educated middle class. Hatred does work in this country, and it is shaping more and more opinions each day.
----
Carolyn just got off the phone again ... with Bank of America. These calls and emails have been going on for a week now, many bank representatives have been informed of our plight, yet each and everyone of them claims there is nothing they can do. This last one she spoke with did give us a bit of hope, though. He was sympathetic and said an investigation would be undertaken, and that he would see that her account was credited with the amount of the two "missing" checks. I should know for sure by tomorrow.
----
The roofer was out to inspect our top-side for leaks. He will send a repairman back asap. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Tonto (not knowing the Lone Ranger had disguised himself as a pool table) racked his balls.
----
Tomorrow, dudes and dudettes.
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I completely agree on the music /network TV thing. how many great singer/songwriters are out there every day pouring their heart out for peanuts. Who know it only took blond hair and a great rack to make it to the top of the charts? America is too easily lead.
good luck on the bank bit.
The back yard is drying out and the water frogs are receding into the back lot! there is hope for my garden yet. Drying out in the swamp, Tammy

Anonymous said...

"Yep, I am just a crochety old man (and loving every minute of it)."
This is really nice sentence, Ken.;-)

Thanks for your previous remarks about poetry of Szymborska. Yes, she is a master of a laconic style. I love poem "First love". I love its conclusion.

Anonymous said...

America seems to be always in the hunt for heroes, people whom seem bigger than the miserable lives we are led by tv shows and commercials to believe we live. Mass media should not be seen by the masses.

Haha! "The back yard is drying out and the water frogs are receding into the back lot!" Reminds me of something like Archie Bunker might say. Thanks Tammy.

Anonymous said...

The "Yep" was for you, Jola; I know you like that word. ;-)

The ending of "First Love" is a bit startling until you put it in context with the first passage. She really is a superb poet. They do not give Pulitzer Prizes to just anyone; even I haven't received my first one yet. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yep! You should receive this prize. It's obvious.;-)

5 am in Poland. I can't sleep because of my bladder, so sensitive this week. I hope you do not know such sort of ache. Well, it's rather unpleasant.

Ken, your words are making me smile. Good night for you, good morning for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you soon feel better, friend Jola. All I've had to endure is old man stuff and an occasional urinary infection.

Take care and rest as much as possible.
Pa, dear frined. :-)

Blog Archive