Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Impulse

Carolyn is still not up and about; I think depression has set in. I try to be as positive as I can be without seeming to be more of a doofus than I am normally. I have to go out for errands that she usually does on Wednesdays.
----
My friend from down the street dropped by yesterday; Mouse and Carolyn went to school together and he helped her secure a cleaning contract with his ex-employer. I have known him since 1974 when we both worked for Texas Instruments. He is now retired and very bored.
----
Jerry went to the grocery store for us Monday evening. Unlike Carolyn, he bought just what was on the list. Carolyn is an impulse shopper; if it says "sale", it goes into her cart. I will have to go to the store and buy a few more bananas; we eat a lot of them. I also want to find some Clementine oranges; a friend in Texas turned me on to them and I became hooked on the small jewels.
----
I know this is moot, but ...
Concerning my question of a few days ago: "If Jesus were to walk into the room and tell you a lame joke, would you give Him a noogie?"
If a man were to walk up to you and introduce himself as Jesus Christ, how would you react? I suppose most people would probably try to get away from such a crazy person as soon as possible. Really though; what does Jesus look like? According to Scripture, he ascended to heaven in the body of a man on day forty after his resurrection as was witnessed by his Eleven Apostles and recorded. If you think he looks like the iconoclastic depictions of him that are in bibles, books, and even churches, you are probably wrong. These "likenesses" of him mostly come from the works of renaissance artists, and they based his features on what they saw around them; European men of their time. From archaeological research, it has been found that on average, middle-eastern males whom lived at the time of Jesus had rounder faces than did men contemporary to the artists, and were not as tall in stature. If a short, round-face man approaches you and introduces himself as Jesus Christ, ...

I suppose it best to be nice to everyone we meet, because we never know whom that person may really be. Not nice to everyone actually; even Jesus was pissed at money changers, and I think politicians, bloggers like myself, Fox News people, and tv evangelists should be open for verbal abuse at all times. The following quote from Bill Watterson's Calvin pretty well sums my feelings: "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I have struggled with the religion issue within myself for years. When once I was an angry organized-religion hater, I have become more contemplative. There seems to be some good in most organized religions; however, the negative aspect of them shy me away from any one demonination. I have this in my journal supposedly quoted from Abe Lincoln.."When I do good, I feel good and that is my religion." Simple and to the point. I like it and it works for me. Two days ago, while riding my bike I saw some boys doing tricks in the concrete swale. I was amazed and commented on how brave they were (as I could never attempt such tricks on my bike). The one boy approximate age 13 said to me "it is brave you bitch." I was so puzzled and deflated at his response. Why was this child so angry? Being nice to everyone certainly has its drawbacks. One has to be brave enough to expose the belly but have tough enough skin to repel the darts and just keep on smiling. People are confusing.

Anonymous said...

Lincoln was the wisest president we had; I love reading his quotes. I do not hate organized religion, but I do believe free people should keep a watchful eye on it. Creepy things like Pat Robertson and the Bakers are what I most detest, plus the huge monumental church buildings that are erected by congregations to glorify themselves instead of their Savior.

I suppose the kid is free to say what he wants, but that freedom is abused more than any other; especially by teenage nincompoops. They do not realize that "can say" and "should say" are as different as night and day.

Tough skin is one of the things that separate adults from children. Had you retorted in kind, his juvenile juices would have flowed even faster. You avoided an unneeded confrontation.

People ARE confusing.

Mark said...

Well I suppose if Jesus Christ did show up today that nobody would believe him for the most part. It would take a "miracle".

Religion good. People preaching religion is another story. I have seen it in my family including being told that since I do not believe as they do I am going to hell. That hurts to some extent.

As for the kid I think my reaction would have involved some four letters and one starts with an f.

I have anger issues amongst many others. But I do try.

I am a walking contradiction.

Tammy said...

My heart mostly ached for that child as he obviously was expressing some hurt or another. I also thought that if I ever heard one of my children speak in such a manner I would yank them home by their ears and cuff them soundly. If a Middle Eastern man approached any white American and made any statement... let alone "I am Christ", how would we act? Now, we are programmed to fear Middle Eastern men. I have met some wonderful Middle Eastern musicians and dancers through my belly dance teachings... They are warm, kind, and wonderful.. Just like some of us!

Anonymous said...

Just about everyone I know personally is a Christian to some degree, and in the south, it is almost taboo to even talk about religion in any negative way.

Until a few years ago, I had a lot of anger issues, Mark. Road rage was my favorite, but it never got me anywhere except into an occasional fight. I finally said "what the hell" and mellowed out a bit. We are all contradictions. :-)

Anonymous said...

The kid is probably a product of the times; he may hear crap like that at home and at school, and it is definitely themed in a lot of rap music which seems to respect no one or any thing.

My druggist and his family are Muslim, and I like them a bunch. You are correct; white Americans are suspicious of any non-whites and of Middle Eastern people especially.

Belly dancing sure gets my attention; it must be good exercise for the practitioners and watching it done well gives my old heart a workout. Hope I am not being chauvinistic.

Blog Archive