Saturday, September 12, 2009

The homefront

Things are cruising along on the home front. I am now the head nurse, cook (such as making bologna sandwiches), room cleaner, gofer, and spiritual advisor (my favorite roll). I have actually been pretty ill myself for the past two days; some of it is probably hangover from all that has gone on in the past two weeks, some from an RA flareup I am having, and I may have caught a bug at hospital. The surgeon's bill came yesterday, and the amount was pretty shocking but not unexpected; it certainly did not make me feel better. Chris and JJ ran some errands for us yesterday, saving me from having to do so. Jerry will be over today to help out where ever he can; he helped me bring Carolyn home from hospital Thursday evening.
----
Our grandson Jeremy came in from Atlanta yesterday for his girlfriend's grandmother's funeral. He was able to stop by and see Carolyn before heading back to Atlanta. I had never met Courtney's grandmother until last Christmas. Because she was old and in poor health, at least one of her grandchildren had rejected her and would not allow her to see their kids. Courtney brought her grandma over to our house from the nursing home to have Christmas dinner with us, and JJ's friend's children were here and she enjoyed her day with us. She has been back in the nursing home ever since, and died Wednesday at the same hospital where Carolyn was. It has all been very saddening in many ways.
----
I am going to see if I can convince my patient to get out of bed and move around a bit. I'll have to try to force her to eat a banana as a potassium suppliment; her activities so far have been limited to going to the bathroom many times.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mugshots of the Week!
----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She must stick to a diet. After my surgery I was v. hungry but I could eat only v. gentle soups and white bread, a bit dry. I was drinking herbal tea. Owing to the stitches I couldn’t move too much. I think Carolyn has the same problem.
You are both brave. Hugs. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.

She is restricted to foods without spices and definitely no small seds or nuts. I wish she would get out of bed and move around a bit.

Hugs for you, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive