Thursday, September 16, 2010

Work is the curse of the drinking class

Rossville, Georgia
This morning, Carolyn dropped and broke the carafe of the already ailing coffee pot. I was doing a bunch of taxes and after she settled down, we did the time sheets for payroll. Her employees are down to an average of around 35 hours each every two weeks. Carolyn puts in more than double that and averages only about two dollars per hour more than either one of her employees make. She hasn't had an increase from her largest account in almost six years and there probably will not be one when the new year begins; not a good way to do business but a few bucks a month is better than nothing ... maybe. I hate this time of year when all the tax bills start coming in along with the myriad reports to be filled out. Well, back at it ...
----

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that you are Carolyn's accountant, and her auditor, as well.
In this case Excel is so useful.
xo

Mark said...

Well you wanted a new coffee maker,
Its a sign.

Tammy said...

I hate breaking my coffee pot. We use a french press and I always have 1 extra carafe tucked away for such events. it sucks when you work so hard just to make a few bucks. Self employment is not all it is cracked up to be.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I am paper pusher and number cruncher. Excel is extremely useful.
Thanks, Jola.

Anonymous said...

I believe!
Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

The plastic top on a stainless steel pot broke, but the machine is leaking so I suppose it is time.

Too much work for so little pay these days. Used to be good, though.

Thanks, Tammy.

Tammy said...

Where are you today? Miss you.. do your fingers hurt?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for missing me. :-)
Actually my fingers are hurting less today than they have for about two weeks. They don't hurt a lot anyway; nothing left to hurt. They are mostly aggravating to use and they make me very slow.
Thanks, Tammy.

Blog Archive