Thursday, September 02, 2010

Itching


How come it is that we can have a minor pain that we mostly ignore but if we get the slightest itch, it demands all of out attention?

A minor pain is defined in Wayne's Dictionary of Life as an affliction acquired by people other than Wayne. Wayne seems to think all his pains are worthy of being produced as a dramatic stage play. For all of you under 50 years of age who believe you have too many minor aches, they will begin occurring more often the older you become. At times you will be happy to have a minor itch just to take your mind off the other minor afflictions.
----
Sometime Saturday morning, Carolyn and I will throw a cooler filled with ice and sodas into the Ford Escape and proceed to escape the house for a couple of days. We hope. We've decided to flip a coin at the last minute to decide if we go west or south. She is inclined to go west toward the Cumberland Mts. but I want to go southwest toward Watts Bar and then on to Chattanooga. I've always loved Chattanooga, southwest Tennessee, and even across the line into northwest Georgia and northeast Alabama. I worked at the Tennessee Valley Authority's Watts Bar nuclear power plant unit two construction in 1977-1978 and would like to see how much the area has changed since I was there. I want to look up my apprentice who worked with me at the time, but I've lost track of him over the years. Carolyn wants to visit Fall Creek Falls State Park but that entails more walking than I am able to undertake. The park is located between Knoxville and Nashville. I hope Carolyn allows me to toss and catch the decision coin; if I have to let it hit the ground—and with my luck—it is about 75:25 odds that we will go west, but if I get to catch the coin and if she calls it in mid-air, I can guarantee a trip toward Chattanooga. I have no qualms about cheating on my wife in this matter.
----
Writing about the old store yesterday got me to thinking about procuring groceries and such in the old days. If I have time tomorrow, I will write about Paul Good's Rolling Store and my first memories of grocery shopping.
----
No pic today but I intend to remedy that problem this Labor Day weekend. I hope to be near two dams on the Tennessee River, two coal fired power plants, a nuclear power plant, three major Civil War battlefields, Lookout Mountain, Moccasin Bend on the Tennessee River, Watts Bar Lake, the Tennessee Aquarium, the Chattanooga Choo-choo museum, and many other sites designed to impress country boys. When I was on Lookout Mt. three years ago during Labor Day weekend, Mark was also in north Georgia mountains; I Yoo-hooed! in his direction but he must not have heard me. If there is mist over the valley this year like there was that year, I will not go on Lookout Mountain because the viewing was pathetic then and I do not want to be again disappointed.
----
Good Thursday to you!
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

usually she who holds the boobage wins. Good luck. If you want to head down to north Florida (dog help you if you do) please feel welcome at my place any time. but there really isn't much interesting down here (oh except me!) as Mark can attest.

Thanks for the Metallica I'm falling asleep here at my desk this afternoon. So a bit of metal and a Coca-Cola and I'm back on my way...

When are you are Mark going to meet up?

How come it is always more fun to play in someone else's cage?

back to my surgery notes. maybe you can get Carolyn to kiss some of your aches and pains away.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the down-home welcome; when the blue snow begins flying in January, Florida should be looking very attractive. I've never been there. Someone told me it is about 11 hour drive from here.

I think (hope) things are settling down around here and that Mark can come over any time he wants. 9-25/26 is not open for me and neither is 10-2/3. Our grandsons are coming in; one from Atlanta and the other from Air Force.

I will send him an email and get something going. I do want to get him here while I can still walk a little bit.

As for cage fun, that is a very good question and I can think of many excellent rationalizations and excuses for it but probably not many real reasons.

Well, Carolyn said she has kissed this toad too many times and I've never turned into her Prince Charming. I'm stuck with aspirin.

Thanks, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Good trip to you and Carolyn, my friend. I also vote for Chattanooga direction.:-) Have a great time and many photo ops. And please be cautious while driving.
xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
As it looks right now, I will be home this weekend. Some work problems with Carolyn's business. :-(

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for Carolyn's problems with her business. Are they so serious?
So maybe next time, next weekend ... Chattanooga is so lovely word.:-)

Anonymous said...

Maybe Chattanooga after all! :-)))

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Blog Archive