Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Family and fort

Rossville, Georgia USA

I thank each of you for your support concerning my little episode atop Lookout Mt. You are each a blessing to me.
----
We are having frequent and—at times—heavy rain showers today. Much needed.
----
The worst problem with our journey to Chattanooga is that it did not last long enough, but like with everyone else, money is always a problem. I have an aunt who lives in Rossville, Georgia and we had to drive through that town to get to our motel in Ft. Oglethorpe. I could possibly be wrong; she may not be still alive. She is my dad's sister and although I was never real close to her or her family, I at one time considered us as all family. My dad died and they kept coming to JC to see my mom and other kin, including myself. After my mom died I swapped email addresses with my first cousin and told them they were welcome to stay with us when they came to town and they said the same to me. Soon afterward they let it be known that they considered me as the Black Sheep of the family and did not want anything to do with me; my emails went unanswered, phone conversations were terse at best, and birthday and holiday greetings received no responses. The truth is that three of her four brothers were black sheep and that includes my dad; maybe she figured enough was enough. When Carolyn and I were in Chattanooga in 2007, we drove by my aunt's house and she and the family were outside barbecuing for Labor Day. I did not stop and they did not pay any attention to us going by. On Sunday past we again drove by their house, but no one was outside, therefore I know not if my aunt still lives.
----
U.S. Army barracks, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
The photo of the decrepit white building was made at old Fort Oglethorpe which was located just a bit southeast of Chattanooga and I think it is the very barracks where my dad was housed while taking U.S. Army basic training in 1943 during WWII. In 1952 when I was about eight years old, we visited my aunt and my dad took us out to the by then closed base; it was created just for the war effort. He drove down a gravel street and told us that this was his home during basic training; well, at least most of the time. Like I said, he was a black sheep and spent many days in the detention stockade. In fact, after the war ended and he had recovered from his wounds, he was forced to spend an additional 128 days in the stockade in South Carolina because he was such a bad boy while in Europe. Anyway, the old fort buildings which are still standing are being converted into apartments, condos, and stores of various types. This is one of the last ones to be reborn, and the far end which does not show in this photo already has a beauty salon. The entire outside front has been remodeled and now has brick or vinyl siding. The old fort parade ground is now a municipal ball field and park for the town of Ft. Oglethorpe which grew up around the base when it was in its heyday.
----
Have a Wednesday!
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, my friend, your motel was in Georgia, but I hope you went back to Chattanooga on Sunday again. Am I right?
I like your digression (and photos!) about your aunt and Rossville, however I don't understand why she considered you as the Black Sheep. It's a nonsense. You are a decent person, and your family is descent too. Sometimes people was strange.

A new layout of your blog surprised me! It's very nice layout, however it's not easy to read white letters against the black background. A big contrast! I think that for the letters background in grey colour (maybe dark grey) would be much better. Oh, I know you love black colour. Yes, black is a fantastic colour as a background for the photos!

Ken, I hope it was part 2 of your weekend story. I'm awaiting part 3. :-)
It's so late in Warsaw. My day in the office was hard, fortunately my evening was nice because Asia cooked for us really delicious pancakes (with white sweet cheese, cinnamon and nuts).
Have a lovely evening in your beautiful E. Tenn. too. There are so much of memories on your blog today. Your photos from Rossville have so nice nostalgic atmosphere.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Ads on your blog today... Yes, we all want to loose weight. ;-)))

Anonymous said...

Yes, we were in Chattanooga for several hours Sunday afternoon. The city has a beautiful downtown and they have added more shops and a pedestrian bridge on the north side of the river. I wasn't able to do much walking so no pics were made there.

I suppose my they did not like me because I have a different mindset than most of my family. I would rather listen than talk and that seemed to make them think I am uppity or pretentious when I didn't join in all the conversations. I still like them but I will not go around them now.

I was messing with the blog colors again and I remembered you didn't like the white on black so I made the font larger. If you or anyone else doesn't like the text colors I now have, I will change them until we all are happy. Anything but a pure white background will work for me; white irritates my eyes.

There isn't much more to tell about the trip; we mostly ate in the motel room and just drove around different places. But, I will try to do one more blog on it.

Asia's pancakes sound delicious. I like about anything with cinnamon.

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have the ads blocked for me on my blog so that I will not click on them and get kicked out of AdSense. It isn't much, but I am making about a dollar a day from the few clicks I receive here and on Megashot. They will pay me when I get to $100. :-)

Mark said...

I like the new colors. The red background works well.

Your dad must have been bad for them to keep him for 3 more months.
Interesting re-use of the old barracks. I bet they will work quite well as apts.

The black sheep label is tough. Hard too figure where it comes from sometimes. Interesting how true feelings come out when elders in the family pass away.

Hice pictures you shot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.

I may leave the colors pretty much like this for a while.

My dad enjoyed two things when he was young; fighting and "frolicking". While in England, he broke his arm in a bar fight and had to make up for his recuperating time plus he was AWOL when it happened. He also twice caught a "social disease" In Europe. He was a fun loving guy. He pulled his time and got an honorable discharge.

Always sniping or outright brawls when the elders pass. At least I won't leave anything for them to fight over.

Blog Archive