Monday, September 06, 2010

Chattanooga Part One

Civil War cannon overlooking Chattanooga
Moccasin Bend of the Tennessee river and Chattanooga

Got out of bed Saturday morning with no intention of going anywhere, but I took a look at the mountains and the air was much clearer and a bit cooler than normal. I hollered at Carolyn to grab some stuff so we could load the Escape and head out toward Chattanooga. We first bought gasoline, sodas, and ice, went to an ATM, and were on the road by 9:45 with me driving and Carolyn navigating; the GPS was standing by in case I got lost on the Interstate. The traffic around Knoxville was extremely heavy with cars lined up at the Dollywood-Gatlinburg-Great Smokey Mountains exit and almost as bad in Knoxville proper as fans were pouring in for the U.T. football game. I kept an eye on the distant mountains as we cleared the city, making sure the air was staying decently clear. If it had become misty, I would have driven to the Watts Bar area instead and I will tell you later on why I am glad I did not decide to go over that way on Saturday. At just a few minutes past 2:00pm, I was parking the car atop Lookout Mountain; soon thereafter the real adventure began. We bought our tickets to Point Park and walked the short distance to the main overlook. From that spot and on a perfectly clear day, one is supposed to be able to see seven states, but who's counting. The reason the park exists is because of the Civil War battle that was fought on the mountainside, so I parked my butt on a handrail near a muzzle-loading cannon and began clicking away at the city far below, the Tennessee river, and surrounding areas. After awhile, I descended a short set of steps for a better view and I noticed I was getting a bit weak. I began walking toward the main monument, but after about 20 paces I was out of breath and becoming quite dizzy. Carolyn was sitting on a bench in the shade, so I climbed another set of steps to join her but I didn't make it that far. I became extremely dizzy and had to stop and lean against a handrail. She saw that I was in distress and came over and basically held me up for a few minutes until some of the cobwebs cleared. She was able to help me back to the bench and I stretched out there and allowed myself to regain some more stability. As I was getting some of my senses restored, a man and woman came by and asked Carolyn if she needed help and she said yes that I needed water and probably a cart to haul my weak carcass back to the car. They went to the entrance and came back with a bottle of water and a wheel chair, but by then I was pretty well back to normal. I drank some of the water and figured if they were that kind I would let them take me out in the wheel chair. The man was not a big man and I weigh 270 lbs and the route was all up a slight incline but he managed to get me to the car and for some reason Carolyn insisted on driving; not only that, but she was about to drive directly back to Johnson City! We profusely thanked the nice people for their assistance and before we got to the northbound highway, I was able to convince Carolyn that I was ok and that if she started toward home, I would sing every version that I know of Rocky Top all the way there. In a few minutes we were checking into our motel room. I still wasn't at my best, but I wasn't telling her; she needed to be away from home and work. Tomorrow I will write a bit more about our trip ... you have been warned.
----
Have a Tuesday!
----

9 comments:

Tammy said...

I hope you have a doc visit to check your heart (!?). So glad you are ok but I am worried to hear that you had an episode.
sometimes the kindness of other people amazes me and gives me hope for humanity. Please be well friend.

Tammy said...

the photos are great. This Florida girl never gets to see a land shot such as this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

I think the doc visits have caused me to get in this shape. Too many fluid removing pills causing dehydration.

There were many people whom just walked by and stared before the two Good Samaritans came to aid us.

Glad you like the pics; actually the area around Chattanooga excepting for a few hills like this is pretty flat compared to where I live.

Maggie said...

I was hoping that you would get away, now I am reminded that I should be careful of what I wish for.
Adventures are always good, but happy endings are the best.

The photos and history are excellent.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Maggie is right; adventures are good, but happy endings are the best!
Ken, please be cautious with your pills next time. Good that you met such kind people. Carolyn (usually so brave) seemed to be really helpless a she was a bit panic.
I had similar problems in London with my daughter. She suffered headaches there, she was feeling v. tired almost every day and our last evening ( at Liverpool Station) was really terrible. I bought for her the apples she liked so much, we were sitting on the bench almost one hour, and eventually we managed to go to our train to Ilford, not quickly, step by step, step by step, and I kept pace with her. Our flight was in the early morning, so I called taxi from our hotel. Later she so happy in Warsaw and now she claims that she doesn’t like London. :-(

I love your photos, my friend. This is a beautiful world, emerald and green. The Tennessee River looks like a blue ribbon. I love the island with its amazing greenery and old buildings.

Thanks for all; the photos and your story, part one. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.
All is well that ends well. The trip was much too short, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

It was nothing that hasn't happened before, but this was the worst event.

No, Carolyn did not panic at all. When we finally did get to the bench and I laid down, I had my head or her lap and I told her I was getting better by the minute. We were going to walk out, but the people came by and offered to get some water and a wheel chair. Anyway, I got a free ride to the car and the weekend turned out ok. :-)
Sorry about your daughter's headaches; it must have been unsettling for both of you. If she is now saying she doesn't like London, I bet part of her problem was being homesick. Glad all worked out for you.

I didn't get all the photos I wanted to make, but there will be another time. I still have one or two you may like. Carolyn and I very much like Chattanooga and are seriously considering moving there when she retires.

In today's bottom photo, the large facility near bottom left is a state mental hospital.

Mark said...

Well thats a story and not so good.
Glad somebody realized you need some help.

Maybe you need a change in your meds.

Good weather was all around this weekend. Nice shots.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.
I'm going to make some medicine adjustments ... with or without doc's blessings.

Blog Archive