Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Shamrock


Last evening I completed reading my first book via the Kindle reader on the Droid; overall, not a bad experience. Barnes and Noble also has a Droid reader for their Nook platform but their titles are much the same as Amazon.
----
Carolyn said "Thank you" to each of you for her birthday greetings. If she keeps being nice, I may have to buy her a present for the occasion.
----
The photo is of the oldest remaining business--I think--in or near downtown Johnson City. The Shamrock has been on this corner ever since I can remember continuous memories, but I cannot recall if it occupied this building when I was very small. I spent several days just up the street with my dad when I was little, but the only vivid memory of the time was the fresh baked bread scents from the now defunct Kern's Bakery which was located behind the also defunct service station seen here just across the street. Another memory from those days is of walking downtown with my mom and bumping into parking meters as I looked up at the tall, three and four story buildings; very impressive sight for a bumpkin. Actually, Johnson City was a busy little town up until the mid-1980s when the Gospel of Reagan cast an ominous shadow over the political scene and withered its soul. The Shamrock is locally famous for their delicious lemonade.
----
Got one of Carolyn's small medical bills paid off today but the electric and water/sewer bills are increasing to more than make up the difference. America, the home of the wealthy and the wealth-free.
----
Have a Tuesday!
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

Buy her a gift, buy her a gift.

Do you like your Droid? It is pretty cool and I really have not used mine to its potential at all.

Anonymous said...

She is getting a pedicure and her hair done tomorrow ... on me. I am generous to a fault.

I like the Droid a lot, but it has some quirks about removing icons from the screen. Sometimes takes awhile. Actually, I LOVE Droid! :-)

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive