Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The original "sack" dresses

Eliza Jane Shaw Oliver Creasy
Phillips family reunion 1948
The top photo is my maternal great-grandmother wearing a dress made by her from feed or flower sacks, 1920's. My grandmother kept this dress hanging in her closet all through my childhood, but I do not know what its eventual fate was. It was red and white checkered.

The bottom photo was made very shortly before my grandfather Joseph died and when most of his kids gathered to celebrate his 85th birthday in 1948. My grandmother is Ada, and she is also wearing a dress she made from feed or flour sacks. "Dot" is my mother, "Roy" is my uncle who I mention often in my family tales, and Iva is my still living aunt whom I turn to for verification on some of my memories; her recollection is as good or better than mine and she is a treasure trove of good stories from the 1930s. Snotty nosed little boys were not allowed in the photo which suited me just fine.
----

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These dresses look really good! Lovely old photos. Thanks, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive