Friday, September 10, 2010

Eve of Destruction

Chattanooga
The sad events of September 11, 2001 were plenty horrible, and since then they have been highly politicized by the Bush/Cheney campaigns and administrations and is now being religious-ized by the leaders of every fruitcake fringe who see their persons as speaking for some god figure and are seeking a bit of attention for themselves. In these situations I usually ask myself what would Jesus Christ do if he was here. Of course I cannot answer that question, but these knee-jerk, self-serving religious demagogues seem to know all the facts. All I can do is reflect upon the teachings and actions of Jesus and it is my opinion that he would have approved the burning of the Quran but not as a mere symbolic gesture. I think Jesus would want every Quran dismissed as being blasphemous; after all, the Muslim Holy Book does not recognize Jesus as the one true Son of God even though the Muslim Allah and the Christian Jehovah are supposed to be one and the same. The fact remains that Jesus is not here but the lunatics who claim to be acting in his name are yapping at the heels of the media until they get noticed. But then, that is pretty much what Jesus did and for his actions he got the privilege of being tortured to death by his own people. Maybe we should do the same for Pastor Terry Jones and his Christian ilk, and also for the people who conceived the idea of building a Mosque so close to hallowed ground when they had to know that it would be highly contentious. For me, burning any book is bad news and on that ground alone I would disapprove of destroying the Quran. However, we do live in a semi-free country and the rights we have left should be protected and that includes the right to burn books, sow the seed of hatred, and reap what we sow. Same with the New York City Mosque; let it be built and then allow the builders to harvest their crop.
----
Have a great weekend!
----

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny! Tevern?! Oh, as in Greece where I was in July 2009, however there was not beer there; rather gentle wine.
Yes, we know: shot day! Be well, my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.
Our taverns are known by many descriptive names but most sell beer and some sell wine and whiskeys. Most like this one in Chattanooga are not the kind of place where a guy takes his girlfriend for a romantic evening.
Thanks. :-)

Tammy said...

Lunatic fringe, I know you're out there...

Brave words. Good thoughts. Can't say I disagree. I was thinking that someone should show up and burn the bible. Now that would stir the witches' cauldron with dynamite.

Why can't people just walk their path to their maker silently with humility and with dignity, no matter what lane one is using. It is so freaking frustraing. It really isn't about religion at all but about power. much to think about...
have a good weekend friends. Peace and green healing energy to all who have the open mind and heart to receive thus...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tammy.

A lot of Christians are inclined to be imitators of Christ's life instead of his instructions on how to live. If I read the bible correctly, he died so that people will not and should not try to be him. Yet, the crazies get the media coverage.

I bet if you were to hold a bible burning and alert the media to the fact, it would get very little coverage compared to the Mosque being built and the Quran being burned. On TV news, I've seen Old Glory being burned by Muslims and the Christian bible was laying atop it and the both went up in flames. It was mostly a ho-hum event for the entire world.

These days, religion is power and it is the biggest reason I want to move away from where I live.

Peace to you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Ken, I didn't know that you added a new post on Friday; I could see only your photo.

As for Quran, it is a saint book for millions of people in the world and no one of us has right to burn it. It seems that pastor Terry Jones doesn't understand very simple things. His acting is harmful. When I see in my TV news with him I think that he is very strange man. Good that eventually he resigned of his crazy idea.

In Europe we all remember well 11 Sept. 2001. We sympathize so much with you, my American Friends.

Mark said...

The are the kind of events that cause more and more people to be spiritual but not religous.

All these folks really make me sick when they claim they are the one true religion. They will be the ultimate reason for the next World War.

They never really read the "good book" they teach to the followers of their teachings. Where is the peace and love?

Tammy got it right when she said it is about power.

Anonymous said...

I become more and more disturbed about mainstream media glorifying this stuff. Even the Associated Press has gone from a stance of neutrality to one of activism and is leaning dangerously in the same direction as Fox News. All about power and money is power.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive