Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A grocery holiday


When I was a very small boy, most of our food was home grown. My grandmother cared for a large garden which would feed at least six people for most of the year and we raised a hog for meat. The unfortunate porker usually met his fate around Thanksgiving so that we would have fresh ham for the holiday. The remainder was salt cured and then placed in cotton sacks and hung in the smokehouse or was canned and used as needed.
As with most families, there were always things to be bought from a nearby country store or a grocery store in town. A week or so ago I wrote about one such country store and now I will tell you a little about the in town store shopping. One hog is never enough to provide for a family for a full year. One reason is that my grandmother insisted on taking most of the fat for cracklings or to make lye soap. Cracklings are made by scraping the fat from the inside of a hog's hide and baking it. Ever eat a pork rind? Same idea except crackings were small yellowish looking pieces and very greasy. They were mostly added to cornbread of which we ate a lot. We had no such things as "shortening" back then to cook with; everything that needed grease for cooking was done with hog lard. Seeing as how grandma used most of the fat to keep us clean by making soap, we had need of buying cooking lard elsewhere. From the early 1930's until about 1942, the family was fortunate because my granddad owned a grocery store next door to their house. Failing health and war rationing forced him to close the store. The local store for us then became Arney's which I mentioned earlier, but sometimes we were in need of things from town and a trip to the grocery store was called for. Such a trip meant one of my uncles walking or hitching a ride to Jonesboro and a visit to Baskett's Grocery Store which was located where the story telling headquarters building now sits. My uncle would hand Mr. Baskett a list and he would deliver the order at his convenience, usually the same day and my uncle would ride back home in the green Ford pickup truck. It was a big day for everyone when the truck backed up to the front porch steps; other than the groceries, it was much like a holiday. I would usually get a candy treat, my mom would get a tube of lipstick or some other accessory, my uncles would get cigarettes, my grandmother would get a large sack of feed for her chickens and a another huge sack full for the hog if it was getting close to killing time and she would get spools of thread if needed, and granddad would get a plug of chewing tobacco and a newspaper. My grandmother was especially pleased with her livestock feed, for she would use the empty sacks to make herself dresses and underclothing by using her very old Singer foot-treadle powered sewing machine. The sacks were usually made of cotton and looked like they had come from a fabric seller. Nearly all of my mom's and aunt's clothing was made by hand from feed and flour sacks when they were growing up. These occasions only came around no more than once each month and after my granddad died in the summer of 1948, they became less frequent. There were no more hogs raised for slaughter and her flock of chickens dwindled to none over the next few years. But times were still good for a young boy in the country, and were about to become better for both grandma and me as a new and more convenient way of buying groceries was introduced into our bucolic lifestyle; namely Paul Good's Rolling Store. More on that later.
----
Have a pleasantly exciting Tuesday!
----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken ... you were so little boy and you still remember all these items Mr. Baskett delivered your family. It's amazing! Well, some things you described are familiar to me. My grandmother also had an old sewing-machine Singer, however I can't imagine a dress made from the feed suck ....?! I was raised (60's and 70's) in city Łódź which was a heart of textile industry in my part of Europe; so there was a great variety of fabric in almost every shop, nad it was rather cheap. As for food, I like to add to my bread cracklings and lard from time to time. I eat it with raw onion and v. special sour cucumber. Delicious!

Your memories are sweet, my friend. It seems that grandma and you were very good friends. Paul Good's Rolling Store … hm …it sounds intriguing to me.:-)
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jola,

Oh, I remember a lot more about my early years, many small details that astound me at times. I can remember quite a lot of things from when I was three or four years old. One thing I don't remember is not giving up my baby bottle until I was well past my third birthday. My mom and aunt swore it was like that.

The flour and feed mills made the sacks like that because it was common for farm folk of the day to make their own clothes. Making the sack material desirable helped a given brand sell more than they normally would. This was not imprinted material which you might find these days; the pattern was woven into the cloth. Grandma's sewing machine is still in the family, as are a lot of her other things. About all I ever got is the wonderful memories of living with her for many of my first 14 years.

I didn't know you liked cracklings; I haven't had them in years. I bet the onion and sour cucumber are very good.

My relationship with memories of my grandmother is much like me and my Tennessee hills; I am her and she is me.

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Tammy said...

Love to hear about Jola's life and what she likes to eat!
I also love your stories Ken and hope that your offspring do too...???
i was thinking flour sack clothing may be a bit rough to wear but then I have flour-sack towels that I use for EVERYTHING in my kitchen from covering rising bread, to holding oysters while shucking, to napkins and they are soft so I could imagine it. It seemed that years ago families made due with whatever they had. A good memory with good teachings attached!

Anonymous said...

My offspring seldom read my stuff; my grandson visits the blog occasionally and my wife looks in from time-to-time.

Actually the clothing made from sacks was decent; the material wasn't rough like today's sacks, but was much like a cotton dress you would buy in a store for everyday wear. Some later ones were blended with synthetics and did not wrinkle like cotton. I wore a dress made from a flour sack the first year or two of my life. Dresses were common for baby boys and girls back then. I have a pic but all of a sudden I don't remember where I put it.

Thanks, Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Nice Tammy's words. Thanks. :-) My American friends, I wish I could tell you more about my life, unfortunately my English is too poor. It's easier to me to read in English, however I must check some words too.
xo

Blog Archive