Friday, January 08, 2010

Weather!


Tufted titmouse

Today is shot day and not much else going on at present except for snow and miserable cold. We have a record amount of days without the temperature climbing to or above the freezing mark. Monday may be the first day of above freezing temps; we have been below since late December. Spring is on its way; we are now gaining more than a minute of daylight each day. Time to put the winter clothes away. Cripes; it isn't even time for my annual robin watch. With the cold temps in Florida and along the coast, the birds may venture north a little early; or head to Cuba. Communist robins?
----
Alabama beat Texas in football.
----
The Lady Vols beat South Carolina.
----
More later ... maybe ...
----
Got my shot and was hoping to go to Lowe's and get some more bird food but the cold caused my knee to buckle so I am back home. I probably need thicker pants or long johns, but I like to travel light. I'm also going to have to start wearing at least a jacket in the cold wind.
----
I just saw a satellite photo of the British Isles and everything there is covered in snow and ice. I hope spring comes early and often.
----

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Imagine the robins smoking well-rolled cigars laughing at the tufted timouse freezing his arse off in the northern tundra. I'd go to Cuba too if I was the robin clan. But, my friend, many of them are here in my neighborhood, singing sweetly and patiently waiting for the Weather to pass.

I've resored to putting nuts out for the squirrels again, I am a sucker for a cold creature.

Sweet photo of the titmouse. How in the world did you get such a lateral shot of him? crawling around in the snow?

Anonymous said...

We have a feeder on the back porch just outside the bedroom sliding glass doors. In real bad weather like this, I spread food on the deck floor. I was standing with the door open when I caught the tit taking a sunflower seed. It was about 7' away from me.

The spread food makes for a lot of poop, but that is what water hoses are good for. :-)

Thanks, Tammy

Anonymous said...

If you were in Poland now you would wear everything, the jacket and the long johns. There is a sharp frost each day (also snow and ice), 7-10 degrees below zero.
Well, winter is winter.
BTW: I wish Mark was happy in this new place where he has just moved.

Stay warm, Keniku. :-)

Anonymous said...

It has been -10C at night and -7C in daytime in E. Tenn. :-(

"Well, winter is winter." is a very good attitude, Jola. It does put it in perspective. :-)

Mark will probably be so busy for awhile he won't have time to be unhappy.

Thanks and you stay warm too, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive