Sunday, January 10, 2010

Idle thoughts




Still it snows, albeit lightly and gently. It is at most only an inch or so deep (25mm), but along with the eternal sub-freezing temps, it is quite miserable. Yesterday I took time away from the net to drive Carolyn to Elizabethton and to Fall Branch, and I then worked on quarterly and year-end taxes. Last night I watched The Dallas Cowboys again beat the Philadelphia Eagles in a professional football game, and that was pretty well my day. I derive a bit of amusement when the Eagles get beat because a friend has a crush on the coach of that team. I haven't had time for Flickr or the new photo site, but I do hope I can get back into things within a few days. I did not make one photo yesterday, but we did stop at my old-time favorite bar for lunch where I paid Sonny $5 for our annual Tennessee-Alabama football bet which is becoming a habit for me to lose. He and I did some reminiscing; we used to be pretty close friends back in the early 80's and mutually attended many parties, ballgames, etc. His dad owned the bar and sold us beer kegs at cost, so he was very popular. He had a very pretty girlfriend for several years and they had two children together but they never married and eventually had an amicable breakup. He is now married to another pretty woman whom is a local pharmacist, and they both ride Harley's. Sweet.
----
When I finish writing this, I will read some other blogs—politics, economy, gardening, writing, photography—then settle in for a couple of hours and watch the Lady Vols play Mississippi State. Tennessee and Mississippi: two of the nicest sounding state names and both are Native American in origin and both named for rivers.
---
The above photo was made in the summer of 2008 atop Roan Mountain. The little bird was sharing our picnic lunch and is a dark-eyed junco. In winter they show up in the valleys at feeders, especially directly after it snows and they are obviously called snow-birds. There are many of them at my house, but I cannot get a better pic than this. I may have posted it before, but it is always a lovely bird.
----
Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for the weather. Greatly appreciate the welcome.

I am tired and need to go watch some football.

Tammy said...

I never saw a dark-eyed junco before. I wonder if he is agressive. Have fun w/ the games.

Anonymous said...

This is the way our winters were most of the time until the late 1980's. Supposed to snow again here today.

I think it is a slap to fans that the all-star game won't have a lot of the all-stars this year. Ad money talks.

Anonymous said...

The junco is a friendly little bird but it likes to stay in the brushy edges of open woods. This one and a mate were together within a couple of feet of us.

The only pro team I care about is Indy and they don't play until Saturday. The Lady Vols won and the men beat #1 Kansas; not a bad day.

Thanks, Tammy.

Blog Archive