Monday, January 11, 2010

Perils of taxes and tree rats


White-throated sparrow


I managed to get more tax reports done yesterday but the going is slow. I try to pay attention to detail on the darn things and figure down to tenths of cents then round off if needed. It takes quite a bit of time as I am very elderly and have to check, check, and recheck everything. Today will be an S.U.I. report and if I am not too disgusted, 940 for the entire year of 2009. Form 940 is federal unemployment and S.U.I. is state unemployment. I still have to do W-2's and a W-3 and all are due to be distributed before the end of the month. The W-3 goes directly to the SSA along with master copies of W-2's. The SSA is Social Security Administration. After all that, I will take a weekend off and try to think of a thousand reasons why I should not go to jail if I do not file income taxes for last year. It is an annual futility ritual and I will end up filing the taxes anyway.
----
The suet feeders are emptying fast, but as of right now it is mostly starlings who are taking advantage of the fat delicacy. There are a few woodpeckers, but the smaller ones are bossed by the blackbirds. However the real boss is a mockingbird who tries to keep everyone else away, even if he isn't feeding. The red-bellied woodpecker don't take too much of his crap, though.
----
Back when the weather was warmer, my son hollered for me to come look. A gray squirrel on the ground had attacked a blue jay and was devouring it alive. The poor jay was screaming like only a jay can and it seemed to last forever. Finally the bird died, the squirrel ate a bit more, and the world was again at peace except for every other jay bird in the neighborhood screaming bloody murder. They even dive bombed the tree rat while he was doing his thing, but it did no good. I have heard of this aggressiveness on the part of gray squirrels, but it is the first time I have seen it, although I once saw one take baby birds from a nest.
----
Our friend Mark had a cold welcoming to Carolina, but he is safe and getting settled into new digs. With the freezing temps in Florida where he just left, he is as well off in Greensboro. He is originally from up north, but this lingering cold has to be somewhat of a shock to him because he has lived in central Florida for many years and didn't have many (any) winter clothes. Mike and Tammy furnished him with gloves and a jacket before he left.
----
Happy Tuesday!
----

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Of tax forms... I leave them to smart people. Numbers and I quarrell.

Of bird-eating squirrels.. terrifying but obviously Mother Nature has it all figured out and we are just along for the gruesome ride.

My doves are happy eating the seeds that the squirrels toss out of the bird feeder. I think doves are sweet and so shy. The robins won't hold still for kissing...

I've been w/o internet today so I'm waaay behind in work. Gotta work late to make it up. Thanks AT&T.

Good luck w/ your numbers Ken. Hope you are feeling well.

Anonymous said...

I'm too hard headed to get someone smart to do the work.

Nature knows how.

I like doves. I cannot get close enough to a robin for a decent pic.

AT&T RULES!!!
They think.

Thanks, Tammy. I am ok and hope you are also. :-)

Anonymous said...

A sparrow with a little yellow spot. I see such passer domesticus first time. Charming.
Oh, this story about blue jay is so dramatic. This is v. nice bird. In Poland it symbolized human indecisiveness.

Stay warm, Ken, ad you all, my American friends.:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jola.

There are a lot more of these sparrows around now than just a few years ago. I love their plaintive call in spring and fall.

The blue jays are very pretty, but they are domineering to other birds.

You stay warm too, dear friend. :-)

Mark said...

I think I would pass the tax prep on to someone else. Seems like a major headache.

Never had heard of a squirrel eating a live bird. Dive bombed one too many times.

As for the weather, it has been fine except for a persistent breeze. That is what makes the cold a problem. Yea, I really need some more pants and heavier shirts. More money to spend.

Anonymous said...

I won't be doing the taxes much longer; Carolyn is going to retire nest year whether she likes it or not.

Living on the leeward side of the hills will bring those persistent breezes, deeper snows, and more rain. That breeze will feel good this summer.

You can get Lane Kiffin shirts very cheaply right now. :-)

Blog Archive