Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Texas threatens




My Texas friends must be trying to get even with me for reasons real or imagined. A new storm is brewing deep-in-the-heart-of and is heading our way with rain, sleet, and possibly heavy snow accumulation Friday through Saturday. The last big storm of this type the Lone Star denizens bestowed upon we mere hillbillies was the Blizzard of '93, or the so called "storm of the century". It started as rain on a Friday evening in mid-March and by 4:00am, the power was off. When the snow finally ended Saturday night, we had more than 20 inches on the ground, and the temp had fallen to below 0ºF. I had to put shoes on; it was the first time all winter that most hill folk even wore a long sleeve shirt. Bring it on, Texas!
----
Carolyn got the contract for the job at the old account and will begin work Feb. 01. This evening, she will end the contract on the account she lost. She should have a net gain of about $40/month if gasoline stays below $3 gal. The biggest thing I will miss about the job she lost: it was our jumping off place for trips to the mountains, Watauga lake, and Wilbur. It is also where I made most of my butterfly photos.
----
It is cold, but there is a break in the clouds allowing a bit of sunshine to come through; it will most likely be the last until Sunday.
----
Wednesday blessings to one and all.
----

8 comments:

Maggie said...

There was a whopping big blizzard across the Canadian prairies over the last few days! And in Turkey and parts of Europe. We are having quite the winter, globally, this year. Hope you can keep warm and dry. Candle light supper? very romantic. Too bad you would have to be wrapped in 3 sweaters and socks!! socks -- of all things!

You have a nice butterfly collection. Perhaps there will be something good at the new place too. Nice, unexpected surprises are always fun.

Anonymous said...

Jola says they are having it pretty bad in Warsaw. Yep; this has been a bad one and some of our biggest snows have been in April. It ain't close to being over. Socks are a desperation move, for sure.

I'll find some butterflies somewhere.

Thanks, Maggie. :-)

Tammy said...

Dear Ken, come stay with me and bring Carolyn and I'll share my butterflies. I have many good photos of them too.

Before I got this large account that I type for now I was what I call one of the "bottom feeders" in the medical transcription world. Up in the a.m. early to pick up and drop off transcription work. I lost many an account to upstart transcription companies in India of all places and just couldn't compete with the cheap rates they offered. Although, several of my doctors did tell me they'd keep me on if I could offer those same rates. pretty insulting.

I can relate to Carolyn's dilemma. It feels pretty sucky to work so hard to establish yourself in your trade only to have it stripped back to nothing. Good luck to her.

good luck w/ the storm too. I can't wait to get rid of the socks and put my sundresses back on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much, Tammy.

I may just pack up a few squirrels and head that way with Carolyn.

Carolyn has to pay oodles of $$ for liability and workman's comp insurance, and these companies which demand she carry it then hire some employee's aunt to do the work and she will have no insurance, bond, or license. More and more are doing it because of the economy.

I know it must be a pisser to see your work being exported to people who have no interest in America.

As for the socks and sundresses; me too! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Carolyn got a new contract.

xo ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much, Jola.

It isn't much in $$, but it is better than nothing. :-)

Mark said...

Well I have been busy this week.
No losing customers on our end.
I need an assistant.

Anonymous said...

You are in a business where there will always be a demand for goods. Hope you find a "well qualified" assistant.

Thanks, Mark.

Blog Archive