Friday, January 22, 2010

Easing into the weekend


O', Summer! How I miss ye!
Photo: 2007
Camera: Canon S3 IS


I worked all day yesterday on the new story, finishing the 1st draft at 4:45pm. It has been a year (Jan. 28, '09) in the making, but the hardest part is now done. I think I have everything tied together; now it is a matter of sanding and varnishing the woodwork. The ending still needs work, I believe, but I was very tired when I got that far. It isn't a great story, but it is better than some I have read of that type. I think I did fairly well with the flashback; they are always difficult, especially in a short story. This one wasn't too bad as the basis of the story lies within the protagonist's "memory photographs". A lot of writers depend on flashbacks, but unless they are experts, they usually leave me confused as to what happened and when did it happen. If needed, one flashback per story is generally plenty. If you have to use more in a short story, you need to rethink your thinking. By the way, the character of Leesa is loosely based on a real person whom I knew a long time ago. The story is not character driven for sure, but is based on events and places; I may later expand it with character development. The story itself is entirely fictional and contains @1911 words. I was more weary when I finally pushed my chair back from the desk yesterday afternoon than I get on a full day's photo shoot. However, I wasn't as excited about finishing the story as I have become in the past. It really won't bother me much if the story is not accepted by readers; I suppose I am a bit like Mrs. Jim Bob Duggar; happy to have made another delivery.
----
My son just mentioned that with the economy, people will soon start robbing banks. I also have a story titled The First Bank Affair written about such an occurrence. It is fiction based on a real bank robbery and ensuing chase and gunfire. It is put down in a more laid back manner than is Leesa, and can be found on the writing blog. I am planning to include it in any collection of stories I may decide to publish.
----
I just cannot make my stuff as long as does Stephen King. I would love to emulate Ernest Hemingway, though, with a dose of Mark Twain.
----
Today is still wet and dreary but tomorrow is supposed to be partly sunny and in the mid-50's (12C). I hope to do some shooting around the city of Kingsport and maybe on in to Virginia. Today is also back to taxes for me.
----
Have a great shot day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it. It's v. interesting story, and well written, I think. It also scared me a bit. I wonder how to call such feeling. In Polish we call it "seksoholizm". I think this is v. similar in English. So, Lisa is sexholic, the behavior of Luis is more complicated; I think that actually he is ... psychopath. Oh, maybe I’m not right. I just wrote my first thoughts. I'm bewildered. The story is v. evocative, but a problem of infidelity is rather unknown for me. If I were Luis I would leave Lisa and try to forget about my humiliation.
Well, I don't write stories and I'm not able to think up even simple plot.

Have a great shot day, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken
Story very interesting. Did the real person's name start with a C?
Have a great weekend.
Alice

Mark said...

Louis was always a killer, he just found his outlet through his wife's cheating.

I like it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.

I don't know if Leesa is sexaholic or craves variety. In a man, it would be called "normal", but women are not allowed that particular normality. I would guess that with the ease Louis kills, he is definitely a psychopath. Love is a difficult emotion to walk away from.

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice.

Yep! I figured you might recognize whom it was. Been a long time. ;-)

Thanks, dear friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark.

He did find killing was easy and he shows no remorse. I would say you are correct.

Thanks, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes love is v. difficult emotion, and you showed it perfectly: love as a strong and destructive feeling, and still in some way sweet for them both, Leesa and Luis.
It's v. good story, Ken.
(I'll print it.)
---
Crackling frost in Warsaw. Now (9.00 am) it's 18 degrees below zero. Brrrrrrrrr!

Stay warm, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Love is not for the timid or weak.

I wonder if any of the prostitutes Louis killed left small children?

You've had several days of very cold weather? Spring will be much more the beautiful. :-)

Stay inside and close to the heat. :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive