Saturday, January 02, 2010

Cold enough to read


Silver spotted skipper

It is cold! Today's high is supposed to be 23F (-5C) and tonight is to be close to 0F (-18C). The wind chill will be unspeakable. If the electricity should fail as it often does in such temps, I hope our natural gas fireplace will keep the living level of the house warm enough.
----
I am about to journey to the basement and dig through my books that are packed away; I especially want to find the ones about Tennessee history. My best one—one about the history of Jonesborough—is gone; probably forever. I loaned it and some science books to a friend back in the 1980's, now he and books are missing. Ron, I'm waiting!

I also have hundreds of science fiction novels in paperback dating back to the 1950's. I'm sure the binding glue has deteriorated to the point the pages are loose, but I can still probably make do at rereading some of them. I'm saving my pennies hoping to get a Kindle later on; there are many classics I haven't read and most are free online and can be downloaded to an e-reader. I long ago gave up trying to read books on the computer; too many distractions.

I still have all my college text books and the American history from 1870-1970 is very good, as is the intro to psychology and the one for the American Literature class. I like to read. I can't see me taking my fragile little body out into the cold to make photos, so I expect to visit with some old friends this winter.
----
The above photo may be the last butterfly I will upload for a while. All of them were made with the camera hand held and under generally sunny but windy conditions.
----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weather is bad and you like to read, so I'll send you English translation of Polish book. It would be a joy for my heart if I could give you such present for Happy 2010. :-)
(Of course first I must wonder which author is the best for you.)

One day I'll go to East Tennessee and you'll teach me how to take good photos of butterflies. ;-)

Stay warm, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola.

That book would be great, my friend. I read most everything except romance novels. :-)

I think the East Tennessee butterflies will be honored to have you make their portraits. :-)

Mark said...

Sell those books on Ebay. You mind find some are worth a few dollars.

It is a good thing I have no winter clothing. :(

Anonymous said...

I have a difficult time parting with my books.

Man; I hadn't thought about you not having winter duds. Probably not a lot of them for sale in Tampa, either. This is colder than the average winter so far, too. JC Penny has pretty good winter stuff.

Mark said...

I think I will have to hit up some thrift stores for a jacket or two and some sweatshirts. I also will need some real shoes. Boats shoes might not be the best for the winter.

Anonymous said...

Goodwill stores usually have some good stuff. You may need something heavier than a jacket. Think about carrying a blanket in the truck for just in case. Way things are right now, snowshoes might be best.

Blog Archive