Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday brunch

One of our large regional banks is being investigated for possibly circumventing FHA/HUD guidelines. Seems as if First Tennessee Bank—along with 14 other mortgage lenders—are being looked into for making very shaky loans even after the mortgage collapse began in 2007. Many of the loans were defaulted and the bank took assistance and insurance money from the Federal Government.
----
I took Carolyn to do some work yesterday and I wanted to do some shooting. By the time she finished the job, I felt so bad we came back home. How bad did I feel? We passed a convenience store that had a T-Rex dinosaur skeletal head in the box of a small pickup truck. The person driving the truck was pumping gas. I've never seen a T-Rex or any other dinosaur. It was huge. I know it wasn't real, but was probably made from a cast of an authentic fossil. Its presence dwarfing the small truck would have been a very good photo op. When I pass up an opportunity like that, I am feeling really bad. I felt really bad, and now I feel worse for at least not trying. The head was probably destined for the Gray Fossil Site museum as they are having a special display. My camera wasn't even turned on yesterday.
----
If you are planning to purchase a new digital SLR camera, give the new micro four thirds units a look. Several manufacturers already have them for sale, and I am sure the likes of Canon and Nikon are soon going to have models for us. They are a cross between point & shoot size/convenience and dslr lens interchangeability. The camera bodies are much smaller and lighter than slr's because they do not have the mirror mechanism. They also have a much larger sensor than do p&s units, and the Samsung model has the same size sensor as do regular dslr's. The second generation from some companies will be coming out later this year and should be even faster focusing. When Nikon and Canon get into the race, prices will probably fall, too. Right now they are as expensive as dslr's. After using the Canon S3 IS p&s for a couple of years, and the Pentax K200D slr for a couple of years, I would definitely go with a smaller, lighter camera with changeable lenses, and the lenses are much smaller in physical size and weight, too.
----
Have a scrumptious Sunday.
----

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found Polish description of Lumix G1. Well, it's promising.

http://www.fotomaniak.pl/1349/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g1-pierwszy-na-swiecie-aparat-w-systemie-micro-43/

Have a scrumptious new week, my friend. :-)

Maggie said...

Hope you are feeling better. Yeah that dinosaur was really too bad to have missed.

The new sized cameras sound really interesting. When I went to hold a 7d to see how I liked it, it was way bigger and heavier than my S3 IS. I used to like the feel of my Canon Elan 7e in my hands. It is about the same size as the 7d. But I have become accustomed to the smaller S3 IS and like how I can pack it everywhere easily. So maybe I will have to wait to see some of these smaller sized ones before I jump into the dslr group, just now. I have too much to do right now, anyway. Thanks for the heads up on them.

These banking stories just keep getting worse and worse. An old contact of mine from photo.net is writing some scary stuff in his blog. Here's some stuff to give you nightmares: http://www.hickel.biz/

Mark said...

Oh yeah, that style of camera is for me. It gives all I need. I love the compact size. Just wait until the second genration of these comes out. I am going to start a little savings fund for this. Man this made my day. A goal to shoot for.

I had a massive sinus headache yesterday after I drove up yo Mt. Airy. Not fun or good for shooting.

Tammy said...

We are considering a new camera, ours sucks the big suck and I've dropped it a few times. Thanks for that info. I'll write it down so Mike & I can check it out.

I'm good at transcribing and if you ever get to the point where you don't feel like typing I'd like to offer my services.

Went to my brothers in the country for the weekend. Going home always makes me feel good. I miss the country living. Many of my friends from high school still living in the woods have lost jobs and are going through hard times. It makes me sad.

Happy Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.

Yes, Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung now have models, and I think Pentax and Sony are about to release models. Even Leica is rumored to be testing the concept.

Have a great day, young lady. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.

I am feeling better but missing the Rex really pisses me. :-)

I think the smaller cameras will put even more people on Flickr, and hopefully, Megashot. The first one's are/will be overly simplistic I suppose, but there should be models with more sophistication coming along soon.

Some eye-opening reading at that link. Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think anyone used to the Canon S1 type cameras will be delighted with the new format. There are not many lens choices right now, but Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron are said to be designing models.

Too bad about the sinus; I was wondering how the elevation/climate changes would affect you.

Thanks, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy and thanks for the transcribing offer; hadn't thought of that. :-)

Glad you were able to get back to the sticks and meetup with the past. I'm afraid the economic situation is also our future.

Happy Monday. :-)

Blog Archive