Thursday, July 02, 2009

United States Independence Day


Sore eyes seem to be getting better; I hope none of you caught the highly contagious conjunctivitis by reading my blog. If you did become infected, let it be a lesson to be more careful of the people with whom you associate on the internet.
----
The Associated Press is reporting that the US Drug Enforcement Agency has joined the Michael Jackson death circus. If it were you or me whom had died under the same circumstances, would the Feds have been called in, and would they have participated? Most likely it would be "he was just a drug-head and got his just deserts". Phooey!
----
Carolyn and I plan to take a day trip to Cumberland Gap and Clinch Mountain tomorrow, hoping to beat the holiday rush. We want to have our first real picnic of the year, at least one that includes grilled food and not sandwiches or fast food from McWhacks, etc. I have already programmed the GPS, and given the Escape its instructions. The drive will be less than 100 miles (161km) each way. Generally, our plans for such things fall through, but with fingers crossed, maybe it will happen this time.

Carolyn has never visited the Cumberland Gap area; it is the place where the early white settlers—the most famous being Daniel Boone—crossed the Cumberlands into Kentucky and points west. I haven't been there as a tourist, but as a kid traveling with my parents to Cincinnati to visit my grandmother, I remember the highway tunnel into Kentucky, and the view of the lake area back in Tennessee. There is now a national historic park, and it resides within the boundaries of three states: Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee.
----
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I must purchase a good map of USA. I think these first settlers and their leader Daniel Boone were very brave people. I remember that once you had posted the photo of his house.

Have a great weekend and happy Independence Day, my Friend.

ps. ’conjunctivitis’ – oh, such a difficult word… No, no – my eyes are tired but rather healthy. I think everything is well with your American friends too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jola.

I can only imagine some of the hardships the settlers had.

Happy you did not catch the "pink eye" from me via the blog. :-)))

Have a great weekend and be thinking about Crete.

Pa,
Ken

Mark said...

I hope you had a nice day away.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark.
It began well, but ended not so good; pretty good in reality.

Blog Archive