Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rambling




Damn, this is a slow week. In fact, the past three weeks have been moving like molasses except for my age of course. I have been trying to think of a remarkable quote for my 65th natal anniversary, but all that comes into my head is "oh, crap!".
----
During some work on Main Street in the old "downtown" part of my fair city, the crews uncovered some brick paving and a section of trolley tracks that once served "Little Chicago". The powers that be, along with the local rag are all atwitter over this find of "great historic significance". Those lousy bricks and short span of trolley tracks are going to wind up costing the taxpayers lots and lots of money as the city bows to pressure from the Johnson City Development Authority to use the artefacts as a center piece of downtown re-re-re-renewal. Over the past 30+ years, the JCDA has touted many "center pieces" of renewal, and everyone has been a dud except in the amount of money spent there and several real historic buildings being torn down for one "reason" or another. I will never forgive the municipal government nor JCDA for removing the old Arcade building which had many unique-to-the-city features. Bastards! I suppose they don't care one way or another about my forgiveness.
----
My mom used to tell me of riding with my granddad in a horse drawn wagon from their home near Jonesborough to downtown Johnson City to sell cows milk and butter to the locals there. The route was along a road that is now called West Walnut Street in Johnson City, the Old Jonesborough Highway in the county, and East Main Street in Jonesborough. No wonder getting old is so confusing. As a lad, many times I walked with my mom to the bus line on "The Old Highway" and rode into JC for a nickel. Can you imagine what downtown Johnson City was like to a country kid that hardly ever went anywhere? All those big two and three story brick buildings, all those cars steaming and honking, and so many people going into and out of the five-and-dime stores and other public buildings were very imposing. I will get into more of this later when my sight has improved.
----
My sight is slowly improving from what it was at the peak of my misery. My left eye is about 50 percent better, but the right one still has a long way to go. I am now taking advice that a witchy woman once gave me by the light of a full moon; I am placing a tiny dab of Neosporin on my eyelids and some of it is getting into my eyes. I believe it is helping with the healing. She was a wise old gal, even while she was bewitching me.
----
The photo is of my grandson Jeremy and his best friend, Rimy.

No comments:

Blog Archive