Thursday, July 23, 2009

Insurance switcheroo



Original photo is sepia. The other is a version restored with Calvin's Transmogrifier.

-------
A few weeks ago, an uninvited insurance peddler and his supervisor came a-calling at my door. I usually shoo them off, but I am about to lose a $25k term life policy next month when I turn 65 years old, so I figured I would listen to what they had to say. The presented and did show and tell about how pathetic life is for old folks without enough burial insurance and how sorry I would be if I left my dear bereaved spouse having to scratch up money for a burial. Sounded as if I would be dead, but in some way still hanging around feeling sorry for Carolyn. I told them I was to have the old "burn and turn" when I kick off in another 30 or so years, and I would not need a lot of money for that. A simple cremation with no services added and the ashes turned over to the family costs about $1500 these days. Nohow, I ended up buying a $5k policy, we shook hands, and off they went with a check for the first month's premium in their paws. A few evenings later, I receive a call from another of their reps asking me the same health questions as the original guys. I told them all I was ok except for the RA. The latter guy said I would be hearing from them in a week or so. Day before yesterday, two new guys showed up at my door with my policy in hand and big grins on their faces. As one of them was about to hand me the papers, he said, "Did the first reps tell you the policy may be 'rated'". I said no. He explained that because I had the RA, the policy had been rated and the $5k had been cut to $2501 but the premiums would stay the same. I told him to take his Liberty Life Insurance Company policy and hit the road, and I had better be getting my original premium back. This puts me to half-blind scrambling trying to find another policy before my birthday in less than two weeks. I have a couple of other small policies, but would like to have a bit more in case Carolyn wants to throw a big hoot when I am gone. I wonder how many people fall for that old switcheroo these guys were trying to pull on me?

There have been two more non-invited pitchmen to come knocking in the past week, but I have put them on their way. Also, I have received many, many letters wanting to explain to me how Social Security only pays $255 to my spouse when I die. These same peddlers also brought that up, and Carolyn asked them why the S.S.A. payed so little. One of them told her it is just how the government operates. I looked him square in the eye balls and said it is like that because insurance companies pay off congressmen to make sure it isn't changed. He admitted that it may be part of the reason. All I can say is beware and be assured of the fact that there are no "good" insurance companies out there.



Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I am sure there are a lot of insurance scams going on right now.
I did not know they were going door to door anynore. Must be tough.

Anonymous said...

The guy who sold me the policy has already quit and is working for Wal-Mart.

Mark said...

He goes from one part of the evil empire to another. :)

Blog Archive