Sunday, July 12, 2009

Time ...

I am going to take my two hours of reasonable vision and try to do a little something positive. I am very thankful to have this bit of time, and here is a link to a Helen Kellor Simulator that shows why. Even now, I must dim my monitor and increase its contrast to do my short-time thing, and it makes photos look terrible.
----
I read where Obama is asking Americans to give his stimulus plan time to work. I don't know what he expects to happen to make it viable, but all those jobs are obviously not being created. A lot of the work is for national infrastructure which means heavy construction, but folks believe me writing from the viewpoint of a heavy-construction electrician, there will not be many jobs like that created either for tradesmen or for supporting and collateral work. It just doesn't require a lot of people to build something unless it is a priority job and the powers that be are willing to pay for less efficient and more expensive shift work and overtime pay. It takes "X" amount of man-hours to complete a structure no matter how you go about it, and when it is done, workers must move on to another project. To have a large quantity of big time construction depends on a lot of people investing money into the nation's future, and it is not going to happen until a real-world leader steps forth and convinces citizens that he or she has a long term plan with a chance of being implemented and producing results. Obama is obviously charismatic and probably sincere, but that in itself does no good. Blindly throwing money at a problem looks good at first, but lacks any positive long term impact and worsens the short term implications. We will have a much better infrastructure when all is done—it is surely needed—but the economy is going to have to expand and show promise of sustainable growth several years into the future before large construction projects again help rebuild America. At best, there are no short term peacetime fixes as the administration seems to want us to believe; it is the same old Washington politics at work trying to put a positive spin on sorrowful conditions. Just tell us the truth, Mr. Politician.
----
The Smoking Gun's
Mugshots of the Week!
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fortunately your sickness of eyes hasn’t impact on your mind (which is as always fresh and creative) and your mobile thoughts.

I hope you overcome your healthy difficulties soon, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola.
The past two days have not been as bad as some. I will be back. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm going for my vacation. Please sent me SMS.
I wrote you frickrmail. Pa!

Mark said...

I think that Obama means well. However because he is always playing the "nice guy" and not wanting to make waves he is having a few problems. He needs to begin to step on the necks of a few Congressman and Senators and make them understand that things need to be fixed now. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

From what I understand only about 10% of the stimulus money that is alleged to be going to infastructure and things of that nature has actually been handed out. One of the reasons is that some of the rules that go along with this money is actually making it difficult to get the money out.

It is going to be at least another year before we see any actual results. Hopefully the sky does not fall before then.

Anonymous said...

Yes, things have yet to bottom out and Obama is going to have to move some fat asses out of the way of progress. I hope he has the moxy to do so.

Blog Archive