Friday, July 31, 2009

New stink from an old fart




I will attempt to write a bit while I have some decent sight this morning. I have been awake since 5:30, thinking about life in general. Nothing deep or profound was contemplated, just musing about where I am in life, where I've been, and where I think I will be for the unforeseeable future. I also thought a lot about the people I've known, the friends that have passed through, and the few whom I have left alive. One expects older family members to die and leave a void in his existence, but when friends pass by death, it is particularly troubling. Nearly all my real-life friends have been younger than me from a few months to several years; probably not by any choice of ours, but that is just the way it has been. Now, one only remains from my past, and I could not have been blessed with a better person than dear Alice. Yes, men and women can be friends without the "sex thing" being brought into play.

In this virtual world, things are a bit different. Actually, I've had only a handful of online people I would say are true friends, but even at that, we hardly know one another. Some whom I thought were my friends have just disappeared without a trace, while others have popped into and out of existence several times before their bits and bytes finally became only memories. The anonymity of the net makes it so easy to be a ghost-like entity and "just go away".

Whether they now are dead or alive, whether they be flesh and blood whom I can physically touch, or whether they are real people emoting in a virtual ether via an internet umbilical, each has been—and still is—very special. For the ones whom have come and gone, thank you for being a part of me and making my life so much better. For those whom are still with me in one way or another, thank you for your patience, kindness, and understanding.

Why am I saying all of this right now? For one thing, it probably has something to with becoming another calendar year older, and for another thing, I am about to go through some huge changes in my life; many things I have taken for granted for many years are going to be replaced by new things and there will be new trials to face and also some new opportunities for being a better and wiser person. I hope I have the "right stuff" for all of it, and I hope I can keep my dignity throughout. One thing about we hillbillies, we may look like fools and act like ignorance ordained to outsiders and flat-landers, but as long as we have our dignity, we have all we need.
----
Be forewarned: Come Sunday if at all possible, I intend to do another of my little sermons concerning the bible. It will not be aimed at any one person, at anyone's faith, or at any one's brand of Christianity. It will be as inoffensive as I can make it and still be clear about my thoughts, but I am sure someone will take it and make it to be what it isn't, and to tell the truth, I will be disappointed if someone doesn't. Life is good and people are interesting.
----
I still have a lot I want to say today, but my old eyes are beginning to fail me.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, I think about you warmly. Your frankness moves me. I’m sure – my friend – everything will be well in your life. It must be well. You are good man.
My gentle kisses for you; please, take care of yourself.

ps. I'm not ready to write my memories. Still many things are too difficult for me, even painful, so I do not make such attempts. But now it's good, Ken. It's good.

Anonymous said...

Ken, I am very blessed to have had you as a dear friend for all this years also. You have been a big help to me in so many ways. Don't let the thoughts of your Birthday get you down,remember I am right behind. It just doesn't seem possible that we will be turning 65I guess you could say we have reached a milestone in our lives.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Jola.

You know you are one of my best online friends; if I had a sister, I would hope that she was much like you. :-)

You write about your life whenever you feel the need to do so; for me, writing is therapy.

A big hug for you and have a great weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Alice.

Actually, the birthday isn't bothering me as much as usual. The remainder of the things going on are mostly of the material world and will be over with in due time. Yes, it is a milestone and life has been a trip. :-)

Thanks so much for always being here for Carolyn and me.

Many hugs for you, dear friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice words, Ken. So unexpected for me.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so special, Jola.
Pa

Blog Archive