Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why do women wear bras to bed?


"Because of Peeping Toms"
is not a good answer!


Any of you have wagers placed on the game coming Sunday? I am or hope to be on several boards around the beer circuit in town. Carolyn is on a $1000 one at The Cottage, my favorite watering hole from the old days. For all the years and all the hundreds of bucks I've invested in these boards, I've won only one, and that is the first one I ever played and it was for a whopping $25 which I had to split three ways. That was enough, though; I was hooked. Carolyn wins one occasionally but she is on only one this game and it is for $1K. Her biggest win was $200, and it was her first board, too.
----
I am thinking seriously about attending karaoke night at the pub. I don't sing and can hardly hear, but it is something different on occasion. I'll put it on my to-do list for when the weather warms a little.
----
The sharp-shinned hawk was back yesterday morning as I was about to shower. I ran through the house bare-butted and grabbed the camera, but soon as I raised it to shoot, the bird flew. The other birds and the squirrels were nowhere to be seen.
----
I read an economist's blog and he said some of his peers were being fired. I suppose those getting the hatchet could not pull a rabbit out of their hats or make a magical prediction as to when this mess will end. I don't really know what a depression is, but I do get depressed thinking about it.
----
Sony, the Cottage proprietor, is thinking about opening on Sundays to try and make up for the weekday business he has lost because people have cut back on dining and partying. He even has beer on sale and that is unheard of there. Pabst.

That reminds me; when I first began attending evening services at the Cottage, Pabst Blue Ribbon was my beer of choice. A long neck bottle was 45 cents, whereas premium beer was 50 cents, and Michelob was 55 cents. Of course, I had not been drinking beer very long at the time. That would have been in 1974, and my two best friends drank Schlitz and Budweiser. I never could develop a taste for Bud as it is bitter, and in springtime Schlitz produced "green" beer that gave everyone the runs. One thing you never wanted to do was witness my best friend with a case of the backdoor trots. Even to this day, I am mortified just thinking about it. On a hot Sunday afternoon 1977, my uncle Roy and I went to a bootlegger where he bought a case of Miller High Life tall boys for an outrageous $8. I was so thirsty, and the beer was so cold, and I've been drinking Miller ever since, even if it has developed a reputation as being a weenie's brew; a reputation that was probably created at a certain St. Louis brewery. Hell, I am a weenie.
----
The temp this morning is 60F with high winds. It is a good sign the seasons are changing, but we do have a long way to go before spring. I will now and officially begin my annual robin watch.
------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Mark said...

The Cardinals are going to win.

Make sure you put your front teeth in when you sing. It will make it easier.

Anonymous said...

It is hell trying to whistle with no teeth when the chicks are on display.

Cardinals? Maybe ...

Blog Archive