Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama, Crocus, and Macros





Today we have one and one-half minutes more daylight than yesterday. Now for some warming trends, but I know that will probably not happen for another few weeks. I believe it was 1989 that spring came near the end of January; I actually mowed some grass and a lot of wild onions before Groundhog Day. Meanwhile, I have taxes to keep me warm.

According to her blog, my online friend Maggie is looking for spring flowers to come up, and she lives in Canada. It just isn't fair! She should at least have some respect for we southerners and not tell us about her good fortune! Actually, she lives farther north than we in Tennessee, but her weather patterns are far different from ours. Her home is not far from Vancouver and Seattle, and near the Pacific ocean. I expect a photo of the first crocus blossom, Maggie! She is a wonderful photographer.
----
To the United States Congress: Please allow President Obama to do the job for which he was elected by a large majority of the American voters. You allowed Cheney and Bush to run hog wild with no questions asked, so at least respect the wishes of the people this time. Remember this; 2010 elections are not far away, and I believe that for the first time in many elections, you will be held accountable for you actions, just as you were for your inactions in the voting of 2006 and 2008!

Do your best, Mr. President; nothing more is expected by realists. I mean start right now, not after you have Inaugural Ball hangover!
----
The couple inches of snow we had were indeed refreshing. As much as I disdain winter, it was a welcome break from the gray bleakness.
----
I am feeling better today; allergies have settled down a lot and sinus isn't quite as crappy as it was during the cold snap. Arthritis is not hurting as badly, and I don't feel as crotchety as I did a few days ago.
----
I have a few small, weird items scattered across my desk; things like a feather and a peach seed (stone) that interested me and I picked them up over the past few months for macro shooting. I may start on that project tonight. I don't know why it is so, but I shoot macros and closeups much better with the Pentax dslr than I did with the Canon S3 point-and-shoot. I suppose a dedicated lens makes a difference.
----

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hi Ken

We have been having some sun after our snow melted... in Victoria, B.C. Yes the left coast of Canada, just north of Seattle. I believe the Ocean currents keep us warmer. In fact on a trip to Alaska I was seeing rhodendrons and other warmer climate plants along that Pacific coast. They are quite a lot further north from us.

I see a dandilion blooming just in front of where my crocus field should be in full bloom in February, barring any more unforeseen snow and cold. But I see no crocus leaves as yet.

Nice to see you are feeling far better. Also nice to see your word press blog. Good for YOU!! I simply do not have time to try that, yet, so will watch your progress with interest.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I have a cousin in Seattle and she is always ribbing me about her better weather.

Dandelion is usually the first flower we see if we have a few days of sun and mild temps.

Thought I would try Wordpress ... I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket ... per Google.

Blog Archive