Monday, January 19, 2009

My weekend


Cardinal and sparrows


Didn't do much this weekend. Allergies, sinus, cold weather, and an arthritis flareup had me staying quite still. This small snow event today has me feeling better; at least the world is no longer gray. The snow still falls, but temps have risen to just above freezing and the streets are clearing. The daylight is visibly lengthening now, and I shall soon begin my robin watch.
----
I looks like the entertainment news industry could find something other than this "historic" inauguration to cover; at least for a few minutes. I'm already burned out on Obama and his entire family. Of course, the "media" may be celebrating the going of Cheney and Bush as much or more than the coming of Obama and Biden.
----
Did anyone pay any attention to NFL playoffs yesterday? I had little interest in any of the remaining teams that played, but I have a soft place in my skull for the Steelers, I suppose because once I worked in their fine city. The Eagles ran out of luck with their true selves finally showing, and the Ravens had too many key injuries to be contenders, but both teams made a decent games. I still think the Cardinals have a sucky defense, and if Big Ben can stay healthy (or at least learn to play with a little pain), Pittsburgh should beat them.

I like the old "working city" teams like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit (God have mercy on the Lions), Green Bay, Cincinnatti, and St. Louis, and one or two others. The old NFL/NFC Black and Blue Division was my favorite. Brash Joe Namath was one of my heroes from the time he first played at the University of Alabama and on through his crazy career with the Jets.
----
The Lady Vols squeaked out a win over the South Carolina, but it is difficult to imagine so much talent playing so poorly in spurts. They at times have no defense, and at other times it is brilliant. The offense is inconsistent at best. I don't see them making it to the Sweet Sixteen this year unless some big improvement suddenly happens, much less even thinking about the Final Four.

It is basically the same with the men's squad; inconsistent and very talented, but with one big difference; most of the men have have at least one prior season of experience playing together.
----
Too much jabbering is enough, so I shall shut up.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Well I watched both games and I am quite happy. I like the Cardinals because they actuallt pass the ball. I am rooting for them to win. Since the game is here this year I will go to the stadium and enjoy the events there. Should provide some good photo opps.

Go Lady Huskies.......

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you would go to the game, or maybe hangout along the fringes for photos.

If Geno can keep their intensity up, they should win it all. Rutgers isn't very good this year and Stanford is having a problem with their intensity. Okla., Auburn, and Vandy are the best I've seen this year other than the Huskies. Vandy too has an intensity problem. But, I never discount Pat Summit.

Blog Archive